Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 1 of 13[ 512 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title

In Justice We Trust

Welcome to the video game version of YKWRGMG. In keeping with the stereotype that gamers complain about video games, I thought I'd start a thread about things in games that just flat-out drive us nuts. Rules are pretty much the same as this thread's general counterpart. Your complaint has to start with "You know what really grinds my gears?" and it has to pertain to gaming, be it a specific game or something you've encountered in multiple games. I'll go ahead and start.

You know what really grinds my gears? Overly long boss fights. You probably know the type. I'm talking about the kinds of bosses who have a whole mess of HP and require the kind of lather-rinse-repeat fighting that can make it take over an hour to actually defeat them--something I've found is especially common in RPGs. Bosses with multiple forms are pretty much in the same boat here, especially if there are no checkpoints in between forms. Losing to a boss after a few rounds? Annoying. Losing to a boss after an hour of fighting? Infuriating. I'd like to give a special shoutout to bosses in portable games with this trait. What could possibly be more annoying than losing after an hour of fighting and having to start all over again? The battery dying after an hour of fighting, denying you the chance to start over again until you have access to an electric outlet.
I'll always love you, Max.
Re: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears As A Gamer?Topic%20Title

The King of All

I can relate to that General (Minamimoto :dahlia: ).

But what really grinds my gears as a gamer is inadequate save points like in Ducktales Remastered and all previous AA games before Dual Destinies. The former because you have to complete the whole level before you can save. The latter. Because unlike DD, saving in Ace Attorney would always bug me because it sends you back to the title screen. There are plenty of other examples of bad saving designs but those are the two that popped in my head.
The king of all, Sir Duke

Sleeping is my life.

You know what really grinds my gears?

When you press the correct button, but the game doesn't recognize that you pressed the correct button, and acts as IF I pressed the wrong button. It happened to me while I was trying to beat Ms. Rudy in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus. Like, for example, Ms. Rudy fires a circle symbol at Sly and I press the circle button, but sometimes, the game make this sound that plays when you push the wrong button.

I've felt worse.

General Luigi wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? Overly long boss fights. You probably know the type. I'm talking about the kinds of bosses who have a whole mess of HP and require the kind of lather-rinse-repeat fighting that can make it take over an hour to actually defeat them--something I've found is especially common in RPGs. Bosses with multiple forms are pretty much in the same boat here, especially if there are no checkpoints in between forms. Losing to a boss after a few rounds? Annoying. Losing to a boss after an hour of fighting? Infuriating. I'd like to give a special shoutout to bosses in portable games with this trait. What could possibly be more annoying than losing after an hour and having to start all over again? The battery dying after an hour, denying you the chance to start over again until you have access to an electric outlet.

Persona 3's final boss comes to mind when I read this. Three forms for a final boss is tolerable, but THIRTEEN FORMS? It didn't really help that it's final form has a move that serves no purpose other than forcing you to hold your attacks and draw out the battle further. And all that is followed by at least half an hour of cutscenes before the credits.

Anyway, what really grinds my gears in video games are those moments where the glaringly stupid option is the only option. In Half Life 2, at one point, your only way to move forward is to get into a pod used for transporting prisoners. Naturally, you escape. Then you climb into another pod, at which point the game's Big Bad congratulates you for making it so easy for him to capture you. At no point before entering the pods was there anything indicating that you would be able to use them to your advantage. Gordon Freeman, everyone!
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Quote:
Persona 3's final boss comes to mind when I read this. Three forms for a final boss is tolerable, but THIRTEEN FORMS? It didn't really help that it's final form has a move that serves no purpose other than forcing you to hold your attacks and draw out the battle further. And all that is followed by at least half an hour of cutscenes before the credits.

The Persona 3 final boss with its multiple forms didn't bother me. I mean, half of those were early-game leveled, so you tend to defeat them in a round or two. But yeah, the Moonless Gown move was just annoying to draw out the battle. Then again, the "boss fight" afterward was more annoying to me, because of that Death move. Yeah it didn't actually kill you, but the animation of it was too long for my taste, after going up the Tartarus, fighting the final boss, the cutscene afterwards and then dealing with this thing.

You know what really grinds my gears in videogames? Pointlessly overcomplicating things in videogames as mechanics. You know what I'm talking about. Any moment in a videogame, where you could easily do Action B by doing Action A, but the game won't let you and force you to go through Actions A.1 to Action C through Action G before you can actually do Action B.
Best example (or worst) I can think of is the Ymir Fruit in Tales of Symphonia. It's a fruit on top of a tree. The game has you use the Sorcerer Ring's ability to call a boar to knock into the tree, knocking the fruit into the water. Then you need to proceed to knock worms into the water to distract a "dangerous looking" fish, so that a smaller fish you call can push the fruit past the fish. Rest of the way, you guide the fish to push the fruit to the entrance side of the forest, where you are finally capable of picking the damn thing up from the water. Even the game complains that this way took too freaking long.
This is an incredibly dumb thing to do, because we have a person who has the ability to fly in the party. She could just float up there and grab the stupid fruit, making me not have to go through that damn thing. Oh wait, what about knocking the fruit down and picking it up out of the water, since it's pretty close to the little isle we're one? Nope. Apparently that dangerous looking fish would eat us like Jaws if we put our hand into the water, although said fish swims pretty slowly when he does...

C-A

You know what really grinds my gears in video games? When games try to be deep but are really shallow. It can be anything, from a story that tries to focus on so-called sad, misunderstood characters who are nothing but jerks and thoroughly uninteresting to boot, to telling a cliché story like it's the first time anyone's heard it, and doing it with unflinching seriousness and no self-awareness.

It can, of course, be about gameplay too. A good game that combines both elements is Skyrim. For all its wonderful achievements like beautiful graphics to wonderful music, it is an incredibly shallow game, especially compared to its predecessor Morrowind. The story is basic, and so are the characters. Your actions have absolutely zero meaning and the game treats you like a child (hey, I just murdered the emperor, can I join the Imperial Legion without you ever mentioning his death? Okay thanks). It's essentially impossible for you to fail at ANYTHING in the game aside from dying; hell even Oblivion, which is usually considered the worst out of the three most recent Elder Scrolls games, had several unique questlines where you could mess things up and were forced to accept the consequences! Then there's the removal of the stat system which I'm not too big a fan of, you can join every guild without any repercussions and the game doesn't answer any questions you may have regarding the more interesting parts of the story/the world of Tamriel.

Skyrim isn't a bad game by any means, but it's just so shallow. Once again, compare it to Morrowind where you constantly have to convince people to even give you a shred of information they're withholding because you're associated with a group they don't like. You can murder anybody, even NPCs necessary for completing the main quest, the game forces you to immerse yourself in the world and actually think before you act, and the game isn't afraid to give you a giant middle finger every once in a while, something that's becoming increasingly rare.

You know what really grinds my gears in videogames? Too obvious Plot Twists that the game expects me to be shocked at.

Now I am not talking about people like me, who are so used to predicting things or see patterns that reveal a plot twist miles away. No, I am talking about a game that is practically slamming its future plot twists in my face, ruining all the surprise of it and expects me to still be shocked or surprised when it's time for the plot twist to be "Revealed". The biggest offender I can think of, is Final Fantasy X.

Spoiler: FFX "Plot Twist"
The biggest plot twist, I guess, in the game being that Yuna is going to die when she finishes her journey. The game absolutely fails to somehow masquerade that thing. And I am not talking about the American release having an ad for X-2 in it, that blatantly shows Yuna well and alive in this sequel, already ruining the idea that there is even a chance that she'll die at the end of X.

First of, we have her leaving places and always looking back. We even have Lulu asking her before leaving Besaid if she's "really ready". Giant hint number one. Also, people being all teary eyed when Yuna leaves. Giant hint number two. Upon talking about "the End", Tidus asks Lulu what she means and we get that awkward silence. And then explains the End refers to her fight with Sin. Awkward Silence? Giant hint number three. At the Moonflow River, Tidus says they should all come back here at night to see the fireflies "after they defeat Sin" and we get another huge Awkward Silence. Giant hint number fo-How many more are there!?

Especially terrible because these are so blatantly obvious! I'm not sure if it's a way for the game to make things obvious since it's all a flashback actually, or if that's really how things went down and Tidus was just really too dumb (or the developers thought the players were too dumb) to recognize these large obvious symbols.

I guess you could also label this "character stupidity" because such obvious Plot Twists coming our way and the characters not realizing it, it just makes the characters look incredibly dumb, unbelieveable and downright annoying to have to deal with them. Of course, then we have the large Reaction to the Plot Twist revelation, which can also be very, very, very annoying. I'm looking at you, Tidus.

C-A

Gettin' Old!

:Hoboright: Do we really need a topic this specific?
There's nothing stopping these being dropped in the other topic.
Honestly it feels like these topics are just made for Cat by this point.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Call me James

Not really something in games for me, but an outside source of frustration for myself as a gamer. When companies misuse/squander IPs and characters by forgetting they even exist or making shit out of their former selves. Gonna go through the list because it's recently gotten me pretty steamed. Those who've seen a certain game in the Microsoft E3 line-up will know why.

Nintendo - A few here and there. Star Fox was missing for a while, but Miyamoto seems to have revived it. F-Zero is still nowhere to be seen, but thankfully Captain Falcon will always have a place in Smash Bros, as will Ness. According to the creator himself, the Mother series is finished and he has no intention of making any more for the sake of making more. All in all, Nintendo has recently been pretty good at bringing back old favourites.

Sony - A big one for me. Crash Bandicoot. He's still kind of around, but they just don't seem to have any real ideas for him. Wasn't in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, despite him being probably one of their biggest names. Oh, but we got Dante from the terrible Devil May Cry reboot. Whom most people I've seen hates.

Microsoft - Or more specifically the guys who took Rare and did jack shit with them just so nobody else could have them. Banjo and Kazooie aren't around, haven't been since 2008, and Conker...well. I think the little guy says it better than anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86KhSlbYm6c

Spoiler:
AKA they don't wanna make any more games with me, so they're telling you to fucking do it yourself. Sorry, guys :(

So yeah :ron: Really pisses me off when they create amazing characters and just don't want to continue with them, or even worse do what Microsoft did and slap you in the face for caring about them :maggey:
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/9935-Akira_E ... 44a161.gif

"I love the thrill of a good solution!"

Gardevoir lover

You know what grinds my gears? Random difficulty spikes.

Especially in an RPG Where you fight boss after boss without a break inbetween forcing you to restart and grind your way there.
Conception 2 does this at a later set of bosses in the game, the first two parts you can down with ease so i have no problem with that but the third part takes you out in one freaking turn!

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

The Real Human Being

The "My team always sucks and the enemy team is never as good as ours could be" mentality.

When I kick your ass online, if your excuse is; "Oh my team just sucks" you need to stfu.

Have you EVER stopped to consider that maybe "Holy shit! The enemy is actually BETTER than me!"?

When you say that YOUR team sucks, that implies that I'M not good.
I KNOW I'm good, and I don't need to hear YOU complain about YOUR team when YOU could have done better!

The dwarf geeky panda!

DoMaya wrote:
The "My team always sucks and the enemy team is never as good as ours could be" mentality.

When I kick your ass online, if your excuse is; "Oh my team just sucks" you need to stfu.

Have you EVER stopped to consider that maybe "Holy shit! The enemy is actually BETTER than me!"?

I KNOW I'm good, and I don't need to hear YOU complain about YOUR team when YOU could have done better!

*Go shamefully in the corner because I do that with pokémon*

You know what grind my gear in video games? When I have to defeat a certain boss multiple times. YES I POINT YOU OKAMI! You're such a good game, I love you so much, but at the same time, beating Orochi 3 times?! I mean the first one was long enough, but the other ones are the exact same boss. No trick like, "oh yeah I got new awsome power so now your ancient trick doesn't work Bwahaha". No, the third one was a freaking filler, just for the sake to rebattle all the boss of the game in an almost one shot. If I have to continue with this game, yes like general Luigi said, the last boss fight is waaaaaayyyyyy too long only for the sake to use every single power you acquired in the game, not even combinaisons, no, one at the time...Urgh.

You know what grind my gear? Girls in videogames or more precisely the lack of therof. I know that there is mainly two type of girl, the dominant which represent the empowered player in a female body, and the innocent (stupid) one, the one you have to feel that you have to protect. God is it really hard to write a good female character? It apply in cinema too and I could go on and on about it, but what I hate in games is that they don't even pretend that they are trying! Even when they say that more and more female ar getting involved. Even when studies show that now women represent the future of gaming (ok it's because of the casual gaming but imagine the possibilities!)! Urgh.

You know what grind my gears as a gamer? The community of hipster gamer for the same reason I don't like hipsters. Dude your game are nice and stuff but the gameplay is just so generic don't call it an innovation!

I could write more, but I have to leave some for the others :will:
Please don't hit me...

Quote:
(ok it's because of the casual gaming but imagine the possibilities!)

Who are you calling a casua- :jazzsneeze: I spend over 20 hours a week playing ga- :cough:

C-A

Surf's Up!

Excessive Quick-Time Events.

NinjaMonkey wrote:

Lol.

The dwarf geeky panda!

NinjaMonkey wrote:

XD You must hate games like Heavy Rain or Beyond two Souls. Those game are litteraly quick time event.

Your rant made me think about Okami once again. Those QTE when you have to slay Orochi, ifyou miss one of it's 8 head you have to start over again, and damn your wiimote have to be ready for those arm waving slash.
Please don't hit me...

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
NinjaMonkey wrote:

Lol.

"Press X to jump into the Sword... you just jumped into the sword, you freaking moron!"

C-A

Surf's Up!

Shao-Mae wrote:
XD You must hate games like Heavy Rain or Beyond two Souls. Those game are litteraly quick time event.

First of all, I haven't played either of them. Secondly, from what I've heard/seen of them, they are more like interactive films than actual games.

TopHatProfessor1014 wrote:
Lol.

So I take it that you would rather watch a cutscene and press one of the buttons occasionally, than actually be in full control of your character, right?

Ace Explorer

Know what grinds MY gears? Excessive, non-intuitive death traps.
I'm playing a custom map in Minecraft, and the mapmaker seems to have an obsession with hiding TNT traps all over the place.

Know what ELSE grinds my gears? Blind jumps that can double as death traps.
I'm looking at YOU, Quick Man's stage in Mega Man 2...
Well? Are we going or what?

In Justice We Trust

I just envisioned Kaizo Mario World.

Ace Explorer

General Luigi wrote:

I can happily say I've never suffered through that hack.
Although with that Mario Maker thing coming to the Wii U, I wonder how long it'll take for someone to make a Kaizo-style course.

Fate Testarossa

General Luigi wrote:

Aw, but that's so much fun to watch play. D:

Fate is made by クロス

In Justice We Trust

kwando1313 wrote:
General Luigi wrote:

Aw, but that's so much fun to watch play. D:

Fun to watch someone play? Definitely. Fun to play? Only for a very select group of gamers, from what I understand.

A Seeker of Truth

You know what really grinds my gears as a gamer?

When a game has elements of it that makes you REALLY want to like it, but because it has elements you don't like or is just bad as a whole, you can't. One example of this is the game Yoshi's Story; because of the cute art style and the fact it has YOSHI in it makes me want to like it, but the over simplicity of the game (the giant popcorn boss, for example) and the fact that that the Yoshi's chanting could get REALLY annoying after a while :viola:
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing... we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path, we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future."- Phoenix Wright

The Fire Emblem lord

You know what really grinds my gears?!

Luck. Just luck. Luck based events where you pray something happens, like a boss not using a specific move, for example(Final boss of Metal Gear Rising comes to mind)
This is also the reason why I will never like Mario Party.

Ruining my life, one Meme at a time.

The Fire Emblem lord

DoMaya wrote:

I agree...for the most part, with one exception: Team Fortress 2.
It's in the name; TEAM. The key to victory is having a team that knows what the hell they're doing. If your team sucks in tf2, you're probably done for as soon as you enter the map.
I usually get stuck on the team that has no idea what they're doing, while the opposing team are pros that have been playing since 2007. :ron:

Quote:

Luck. Just luck. Luck based events where you pray something happens, like a boss not using a specific move, for example(Final boss of Metal Gear Rising comes to mind)

Chance Time! :will:

C-A

The cape is self-fluttering

EdgeEmblem wrote:

Oh yes. If it works in your favor, that's one thing. But if something happens by chance, you could be stuck at a specific event for hours.

I also don't care for it when you need a specific item or person in the party or else the battle is lost. Yet it ends up being something/someone you don't even find out you need until after you've entered said battle. (I know, reset button is your friend...but still.)
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava

...NAILED IT

You know what really grinds my gears in games? Forced Romances.

Now I have nothing against a romance in a game, as long as it fits. An RPG with a romance in it? Fine. A puzzle game à la Layton, where the romance is in the story/background? Okay. A shooting game is kind of weird to have it... but the bigger offender is if the romance just feels forced.

If the characters that are supposedly romantically linked just don't seem to fit at all or have no chemistry at all. Even worse if all those two characters do throughout the game - whether it's before or after the supposed romance starts - just bicker and fight each other all the time. Why the hell would they want to be with this person romantically, if they just make them angry all the time? It's a waste of time, energy and just leaves one exhausted.

But when the characters have no basis for a romance, nothing that even previously showed that, hey, something could happen here in the romantice sense, or flat out had zero meaningful interaction before the sudden romance, it just feels forced and out of nowhere and only shoved in, probably to appeal to the female or romantically-inclined audience and gain their approval.

I'd rather have a game with no romance at all, than one with a forced romance that is unbelieveable.

C-A

The Fire Emblem lord

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

C-A

Nervous shiver :beef:

In Justice We Trust

I have a love-hate relationship with luck in video games. In strategy games, it's rare for me to have an issue with it; luck is just a way to portray the limits of a commander's abilities. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. In the same sense, I can give Cordelia an accurate lance and tell her to attack a sword-wielding enemy, but I can't make her attack hit. It's also easy to forget about moments of good luck (such as a critical hit and an offensive skill activating in the same move). Still, I see where people are coming from when they complain about luck. After all, who wouldn't be ticked off if the RNG pretty much gives them the finger in five different languages?

CatMuto wrote:
Quote:

C-A

Many tears were shed when Chance Time appeared with my friends during Mario Party xD

The Fire Emblem lord

Don't get me started with diceroll misses/hits in Fire Emblem :grey:

The Fire Emblem lord

Ike's stats: HIT:92
MT:16
CRIT:0
Myrmidon: HIT:28
MT:2
CRIT:1
Ike's attack misses, and the myrmidon not only gets a hit, but he gets a crit as well! DAFUQ?!
Granted he only did 6 damage, but this actually happened to me!!!

In Justice We Trust

Pretty much every gamer who's played a game with a luck-based mechanic can easily share a bad luck story or two. My favorite would have to be what happened to me in Awakening during my first attempt at Hard Mode. Stahl had a sword equipped, his enemy had an axe equipped. The enemy had a 1% chance of a critical hit and said critical hit would do exactly enough damage to take out Stahl in one blow. Three guesses what happened. Then there was that one time in a DLC mission when one of the enemies (Jaffar) had the Lethality skill. Needless to say, it triggered against one of my units.

To be fair, these kinds of things are exceedingly rare. Out of the hundreds--if not thousands--of combats in any given playthrough, lucky dodges or criticals from my own units tend to be much more common than an unlucky critical from an enemy. It doesn't make rotten luck any less annoying, but it's important to put these kinds of things in perspective. Luck has more often saved one of my units than doomed him/her, and there is little doubt in my mind that that holds true for anyone who's played a Fire Emblem game.

Ace Explorer

I think anyone who's tried out a battle facility in a Pokémon game has some horror stories about crits or status effects.
Paralysis, confusion, 1HKO moves, you name it.
My cousin told me about how she went up against an Articuno in X and Y, and Sheer Cold hit twice in a row. Without Foresight or anything.

In Justice We Trust

Alonso Swift wrote:
My cousin told me about how she went up against an Articuno in X and Y, and Sheer Cold hit twice in a row. Without Foresight or anything.

Chuggaaconroy feels her pain.

Aye, there are players whose entire strategy hangs on using one-hit-KO moves in Pokémon, and it seems to work surprisingly well against me for some reason. Nothing feels worse than losing against someone you should've won against in Pokémon. But then again, nothing feels better when you beat some punk who thinks he has the ultimate team (not one of those who know nothing about the game and only use legendaries, but people who are somewhat skilled and only use pokémon in the top tier of OU) with pokémon you barely see, such as Slaking and Eelektross.

When us gamers have to pay money for the stupid prices that GameStop puts on their games. I hate that they rip people off especially when you trade on games. I get much more money when I trade my games with 2nd hand game stores. That's why I stopped supporting gamestop and buy my games from 2nd hand game stores.

The Fire Emblem lord

SHSL Ultimate Hope wrote:
When us gamers have to pay money for the stupid prices that GameStop puts on their games. I hate that they rip people off especially when you trade on games. I get much more money when I trade my games with 2nd hand game stores. That's why I stopped supporting gamestop and buy my games from 2nd hand game stores.

Play N Trade is your friend.
By the way, your avatar and sig intrigues me... :hotti:

Page 1 of 13 [ 512 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station