Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 3 of 6[ 215 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: PLvAA General Discussion Thread (spoilers!)Topic%20Title

Racing through the sky like a Missile

GoingforMiles wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
He reminds me a bit of Missile now, that is, GT Missile.

"The only thing I'm good as is objecting. There's not much else in life, really."

"WELCOME!"

"A systems engineer? What's that? Well, I'm an ace attorney, I'll have you know."

TAKUMI BASED PHOENIX OFF OF HIS DOG. I can die happy.

GoingforMiles wrote:
One small thing I like in this game was how the saving-sound differed depending on whether one was saving in a Layton- or Phoenix-moment, and also that the bli-de-blip-blip-sounds when they are talking arethe same as in their respective games.

It's too bad everyone else use the same sound effect when they speak that Layton and Luke stand out even more than Phoenix and Maya do.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I didn't understand why they didn't just keep the Ace Attorney bleeps to the realistic-looking characters like Storyteller, Darklaw, Barnham, Nick, Maya, Greyerl etc. and all of the goofy town NPCs would have the Layton Bleeps
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

"Eggs?"

In regards to the 'bleeping'...

I would have thought that they would use the ones used in Professor Layton. I think so because of where it is located. When you think about it, Labyrinthia is supposedly in England, right?
Spoiler:
Because Labrelum Inc. got permission from the British government, so it would make sense if it was in Britain

And I've always thought that the Layton bleeps were different because they have British accents. So... the people in Labyrinthia are British... and Layton bleeps are for British people... You would assume that for the Labyrinthians, they would have the Layton bleeps.
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

The video game boy; the one who wins

That puzzle-swordfight was like the worst thing ever. I thought I'd never get out of it and be stuck forever in an endless loop of watching tiny knights jumping and spinning around like morons with moves impossible to distinguish from another and trying to remember the stupid order and failing awkwardly and then starting the whole charade over again and again and again and :Pizza2:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

But the awesome music...

I purposely waited around on that puzzle just to listen to it.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Y'know

It's too bad everyone else use the same sound effect when they speak that Layton and Luke stand out even more than Phoenix and Maya do.

They should start distinguishing outsiders that way in Labyrinthia - they either speak with a weird voice, or wear impossible outfits.

A Kirby and AA fan

linkenski wrote:
I didn't understand why they didn't just keep the Ace Attorney bleeps to the realistic-looking characters like Storyteller, Darklaw, Barnham, Nick, Maya, Greyerl etc. and all of the goofy town NPCs would have the Layton Bleeps

Yes, this is exactly how I would've wanted it.

But the awesome music...

I purposely waited around on that puzzle just to listen to it.

Does. Not. Make up for it. Not even Layton's constipated face as he delivers the final blow makes up for it.

Beat the prologue. I'm liking the game so far. I'm a little more invested in Layton and Luke's story right now. The first trial was better than I thought it would be, though, considering there was no murder. I actually got to one exclamation left on the last testimony because the contradictory statement was the one Nick said she was telling the truth on -_- I wouldn't be upset but I now realized that they're worth picarats

Also, why does Maya keep hurting Nick? I know she likes to mess with him but she smashed him in the face with a pipe!

Edit: Also, Nick's voice is meh...I know it's hard to nail voices for characters when you have an idea of what they sound like in your head for so long, though. I might get used to it. But Maya's voice....oh god, Maya's voice...

JesusMonroe wrote:
The first trial was better than I thought it would be, though, considering there was no murder. I actually got to one exclamation left on the last testimony because the contradictory statement was the one Nick said she was telling the truth on -_- I wouldn't be upset but I now realized that they're worth picarats

Which one?

Quote:
Also, why does Maya keep hurting Nick? I know she likes to mess with him but she smashed him in the face with a pipe!

Yeah, she should have hit him on the right spot and taken over the case in his stead.

Quote:
Edit: Also, Nick's voice is meh...I know it's hard to nail voices for characters when you have an idea of what they sound like in your head for so long, though. I might get used to it. But Maya's voice....oh god, Maya's voice...

Those two definitely had the iffiest voices. In fact, I liked everyone's voices except for theirs. Not saying they're so terrible that I wouldn't dare listen to them again, but I think I'll stick with monotone Narumiya. The more times I listen to Layton's speech in the final chapter, the more kicks I get out of Nick's reply.

I really liked Nick's VA, but I thought Maya sounded too bored. I'm still happy they didn't give her that typical anime-girl voice where the actor tries to imitate the Japanese pitch. That would have been the worst.

I think Trevor White as Nick was so much more fitting of a choice than Sam Riegel, it's not even funny. He literally made me hate him as an actor, because he's a fan and he just wanted to be the voice of his favorite character even though it doesn't suit him at all. Not in my depiction of Nick anyway :godot:

迷探偵

Not saying they're so terrible that I wouldn't dare listen to them again, but I think I'll stick with monotone Narumiya. The more times I listen to Layton's speech in the final chapter, the more kicks I get out of Nick's reply.

I'm still waiting for the voice DLC to replace Narumiya's voice... still... waiting.

(He pops up quite often in my mystery dramas as both murderer and detective and I do kinda like him as an actor... but his voice acting...)

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Gardevoir lover

I have not been able to put this game down.

My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/

Now I beat the first witch trial. I was pretty disappointed with the mob examinations at first, because they were just like normal testimonies, but I did like the way they updated things with questioning and contradictory testimony

It was a good trial. I had fun with it. It did annoy me how Layton seemed to always know the answers while Phoenix didn't (but I did!!!!). Barnham kind of disappointed me to be honest. I was expecting a lot more from him after seeing various screenshots and listening to his epic theme. He wasn't a bad Prosecutor, he was just kind of boring--like his role could've been filled by anyone else. I will stay optimistic about him, though

My current crack theory is that in a true Layton style twist, Bezella isn't real and was actually a freak fire that destroyed a lot of the town (caused by the main villain) or was just made up by the Storyteller so he could get rid of his opponents by saying they were witches. That might be anti-climatic, I guess and I don't have any clues so far to suggest it. I guess I just can't imagine Nick and Hershel teaming up to execute a witch to a fiery death, no matter how evil the villain is

Also, while I wouldn't call the trials hard (I didn't get penalized once or choose any wrong answers), I do like the fact that the game isn't giving me the answers and wants me to figure it out. It's steps above DD in that regard (and the cutscenes. WOW. They look great)
Which one?

Yeah, she should have hit him on the right spot and taken over the case in his stead.

Those two definitely had the iffiest voices. In fact, I liked everyone's voices except for theirs. Not saying they're so terrible that I wouldn't dare listen to them again, but I think I'll stick with monotone Narumiya. The more times I listen to Layton's speech in the final chapter, the more kicks I get out of Nick's reply.

-Don't really remember the testimony. It was the only one where Allegro played. The first statement of the testimony was contradictory (and the evidence was the tag). When pressing the statement, Nick would say, "Hmm...I think she's telling the truth. It was another part of her testimony that bothered me." Not really a contradiction that I would fault for the game for. but I got so angry I ended up figuring out that a jewel was probably in the PC Badger and that was the blunt object that hit Olive, and then I started trying to prove that and got really confused (also, I literally just had this thought. It was totally a witch's scepter that knocked Olive out)

-She had every right to do so in my playthrough, considering I purposely chose the wrong answers for the "Who is the defendant?" questions

-Yeah, they're the only ones I can't get used to. I don't even mind Luke's voice, which a lot of people seemed to complain about
linkenski wrote:
I really liked Nick's VA, but I thought Maya sounded too bored. I'm still happy they didn't give her that typical anime-girl voice where the actor tries to imitate the Japanese pitch. That would have been the worst.

I think Trevor White as Nick was so much more fitting of a choice than Sam Riegel, it's not even funny. He literally made me hate him as an actor, because he's a fan and he just wanted to be the voice of his favorite character even though it doesn't suit him at all. Not in my depiction of Nick anyway :godot:

I didn't like either of them :basil:

Though, I do think I prefer Riegel. His voice during cutscenes was 'fine'. It didn't take me out of the game like White's does. Plus, Riegel's interjections are definitely miles better than White's. I mean, I know he can't hold a candle to Ben Judd, but at least there was 'ooomph' behind it (and I did get used to them with time)

1000% Knight

JesusMonroe wrote:
Now I beat the first witch trial. I was pretty disappointed with the mob examinations at first, because they were just like normal testimonies, but I did like the way they updated things with questioning and contradictory testimony

They get a bit better

Quote:
Barnham kind of disappointed me to be honest. I was expecting a lot more from him after seeing various screenshots and listening to his epic theme. He wasn't a bad Prosecutor, he was just kind of boring--like his role could've been filled by anyone else. I will stay optimistic about him, though

...You probably shouldn't

Quote:
Also, while I wouldn't call the trials hard (I didn't get penalized once or choose any wrong answers), I do like the fact that the game isn't giving me the answers and wants me to figure it out. It's steps above DD in that regard (and the cutscenes. WOW. They look great)

Well, it was made before DD. Also yeah, it boggled my mind how much better the cutscenes were in PLvAA compared to DD even though DD was made second.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I blame bad direction and probably a tighter budget. Let's face it, PLvPWAA has overall higher production values. The music is even properly orchestrated.

Barnham didn't have much personality to speak of, but what I did like about him was that he felt clever, and fairly progressive given the environment.

GoingforMiles wrote:
Barnham didn't have much personality to speak of, but what I did like about him was that he felt clever, and fairly progressive given the environment.

I wasn't blown away by Barnham either but to me his little development in the middle of the game was enough to make him interesting IMO. I wish he had been a bit more over the top though to make up for all the hype he got in court. He's practically made out to be the "Klavier of Labyrinthia" since he's sort of a celebrity.

I also get some Simon-vibes from him, with the sword and knight/samurai honour etc.

Yeah that was one of my points about DD and PLvPWAA being pretty similar as well, but I won't get into that :-P

JesusMonroe wrote:
It was a good trial. I had fun with it. It did annoy me how Layton seemed to always know the answers while Phoenix didn't (but I did!!!!).

This is why even though Phoenix is taller than him in this game, the degree to which he hunches over is equivalent to him bowing before Layton's mighty intellect.

Quote:
-Don't really remember the testimony. It was the only one where Allegro played. The first statement of the testimony was contradictory (and the evidence was the tag). When pressing the statement, Nick would say, "Hmm...I think she's telling the truth. It was another part of her testimony that bothered me." Not really a contradiction that I would fault for the game for. but I got so angry I ended up figuring out that a jewel was probably in the PC Badger and that was the blunt object that hit Olive, and then I started trying to prove that and got really confused (also, I literally just had this thought. It was totally a witch's scepter that knocked Olive out)

Granted, the dialogue doesn't change even after you press that statement which "bothered him". I figure that's what led you astray.

By the way, what does "PC Badger" mean? I call him Constable Badger, but I can't figure out the "P" bit.

linkenski wrote:
I blame bad direction and probably a tighter budget. Let's face it, PLvPWAA has overall higher production values. The music is even properly orchestrated.

It's too bad this game didn't sell as well in Japan as DD did. Perhaps it was just the timing of the release?

linkenski wrote:
GoingforMiles wrote:

I wasn't blown away by Barnham either but to me his little development in the middle of the game was enough to make him interesting IMO. I wish he had been a bit more over the top though to make up for all the hype he got in court. He's practically made out to be the "Klavier of Labyrinthia" since he's sort of a celebrity.

There's one big difference between him and Klavier, though. He doesn't stalk the main characters. He has a dog.

But Klavier has a massage chair.

Gardevoir lover

So i'm almost done with chapter 4 and so far i'm loving every second of this game.

linkenski wrote:

It's too bad this game didn't sell as well in Japan as DD did. Perhaps it was just the timing of the release?

I think maybe it was also because DD had more marketing and dem fanservice reveals whereas PLvPWAA mostly just had the main 4 characters and the judge... Layton is not as popular in japan as in europe and so on.

But yeah, probably also the timing of release, although I always thought christmas holidays were bigger sellers than summer holidays.

You know, a Mario game!

I'm still in the prologue, and I could be wrong, but I'm 85% certain that Darklaw is the witch seen at the beginning of the game, and if not, I'm 99% certain that she's a villain at the very least, I mean come on, with a name like that she just screams "villain"!
My let's Play channel! Shameless plug!
Current Project: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racoonus
My Twitter Account

GoingforMiles wrote:

But Constantine has a matching helmet.

linkenski wrote:
linkenski wrote:

I think maybe it was also because DD had more marketing and dem fanservice reveals whereas PLvPWAA mostly just had the main 4 characters and the judge... Layton is not as popular in japan as in europe and so on.

But yeah, probably also the timing of release, although I always thought christmas holidays were bigger sellers than summer holidays.

All that factors in too, though regarding dates, Japan is pretty big on summer holidays. One of their biggest takes place in late summer, to mark the midyear. To be fair, the timing for DD's releases, at home and overseas, were pretty solid. And then there's the fact that Level 5 runs a completely different promotion schedule than Capcom does, so... many reasons.

Gettin' Old!

dimentiorules wrote:
I'm still in the prologue, and I could be wrong, but I'm 85% certain that Darklaw is the witch seen at the beginning of the game, and if not, I'm 99% certain that she's a villain at the very least, I mean come on, with a name like that she just screams "villain"!

It's one big criticism I'd put in the game in general is that the culprits aren't well concealed.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Gardevoir lover

dimentiorules wrote:

That part of the prologue where Phoenix says something along the lines of "She's acting weird" i was like "...NOooooo! Really? Nooooooo!"

GoingforMiles wrote:

But Constantine has a matching helmet.

Dang it.

迷探偵

By the way, what does "PC Badger" mean? I call him Constable Badger, but I can't figure out the "P" bit.

Police Constable.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

You know, a Mario game!

One thing I don't understand is why this game uses the five exclamation point health system from GS1, rather than the health bar used in every game since. Come to think of it, all the music played during the trials is remixed music from GS1. I guess that means this game only acknowledges the first GS game, and not any of the later ones. Weird.
My Twitter Account

迷探偵

Probably keep the game more simple / easier to get into for first-time players. The health bar is only useful if you want to have penalties with different weights, but I think they wanted to have a more straight-forward approach (1 mistake = 1 mark) with the penalty system for this game.

And because of the Japanese voice actors, I think Layton VS GS is in fact set after the first movie/game >_>

Gettin' Old!

Except the game makes reference to Zvarri, and later to coffee drinking prosecutors.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

You know, a Mario game!

Ash wrote:
Probably keep the game more simple / easier to get into for first-time players. The health bar is only useful if you want to have penalties with different weights, but I think they wanted to have a more straight-forward approach (1 mistake = 1 mark) with the penalty system for this game.

And because of the Japanese voice actors, I think Layton VS GS is in fact set after the first movie/game >_>

But that's impossible, as Maya left at the end of 1-4, and didn't come back until GS2!
My Twitter Account

迷探偵

To be more exact, an alternate continuity, set after the first movie. Maya has returned here, Zvarri doesn't need to be a reference (because it's a normal Japanese word), and IIRC, most references in this game can be interpreted rather freely because of Takumi's script (For example, I remember Phoenix mentioning he had never met a real butler before (or something like that), which can 1) be a reference to GS2-4 or 2) a neutral, true statement).

Note: for me, this is really mostly just because of Narumiya and Kiritani's voices in the Japanese version.

Gardevoir lover

I always assumed that this game took place during the second and third cases of AA3.

At some point Maya mentions the Ami Fey statue from Hazakura, so the game has to take place after 3-5.

Ash wrote:
To be more exact, an alternate continuity, set after the first movie. Maya has returned here, Zvarri doesn't need to be a reference (because it's a normal Japanese word), and IIRC, most references in this game can be interpreted rather freely because of Takumi's script (For example, I remember Phoenix mentioning he had never met a real butler before (or something like that), which can 1) be a reference to GS2-4 or 2) a neutral, true statement).

Note: for me, this is really mostly just because of Narumiya and Kiritani's voices in the Japanese version.

Considering that the movie took place almost entirely in December, I suppose they could have taken off for London the following spring. (Of course, this implies that Maya only returned home, not for reclusive training, but just to get home. And I suppose the next trial with Enguarde where Nick obviously loses to Edgeworth took place the following March. I really wished we could've seen more of that trial. So... is this trip in April or May?)

I'm sure she said ズヴァリ! not ずばり. It's definitely a nod to the third game, especially with how randomly it appears, but likewise, we don't have a movie version of GS2 or GS3 yet.

迷探偵

I'm sure she said ズヴァリ! not ずばり. It's definitely a nod to the third game, especially with how randomly it appears, but likewise, we don't have a movie version of GS2 or GS3 yet.

I know it was the alternate spelling, but it still doesn't mean per se that Layton VS GS Maya met Luke Atmey, or that it was a reference to GS3-2. For us, it works as a reference, but in the in-game narrative, it does not need to be a reference or GS3-2. For all we know, this Maya might have seen Luke on TV.

Ash wrote:

I know it was the alternate spelling, but it still doesn't mean per se that Layton VS GS Maya met Luke Atmey, or that it was a reference to GS3-2. For us, it works as a reference, but in the in-game narrative, it does not need to be a reference or GS3-2. For all we know, this Maya might have seen Luke on TV.

XD For some reason, I thought you meant the littler Luke. Dang it, it would have been amazing if Luke Triton was the one who said it.

Page 3 of 6 [ 215 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)