Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)

Page 1 of 1[ 35 posts ]

Layton 7 announced... as a smartphone RPG...?Topic%20Title

They don't :c

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

So this just happened...

Um... I really hope I'm reading this wrong... Or that the use of the 7 is a reference to the 7 characters shown, and not at all to it being an actual 7th Layton game.

So... Yeah. Discuss.
Re: Layton 7 announced... as a smartphone RPG...?Topic%20Title

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

Basically since Layton Brothers Level-5 has decided to use the "Layton" name-branding to lure audiences to new franchises, but calling this "Layton 7" is almost insulting imo. It's worse than most of Crapcom's tactics.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/southamerica/political-map-of-Argentina.gif

I would be totally okay with this if it were called, dunno, Layton City. But that's the problem. It's Layton 7.

They're basically letting us know that there will never be another Layton sequel. Christ I hope I'm wrong, but this truly does feel as a big "Fuck you" to us fans.

ZAWA ZAWA

What the...? I just saw a video and it looks nothing like a Layton game; I don't even see Hershel anywhere! I don't even...
I don't know what to say. I'm actually quite frightened by what I saw.

Shut up, Hitler

Looks more like a spinoff than anything; that, and I'm too afraid to call it anything else.

Then again, "7" could just be referring to the number of characters and nothing else... (Hoping that is the case...)
Inspector Grosky is prepared to arrest you in style with finesse with his chesthair sheltering innocent kittens.

Javadoze wrote:
Looks more like a spinoff than anything; that, and I'm too afraid to call it anything else.

Then again, "7" could just be referring to the number of characters and nothing else... (Hoping that is the case...)

I do think this is the case, but they know what we relate Layton 7 to. They know that we're expecting a Layton 7, which of course wouldn't bear that title, but they perfectly know that by calling it Layton 7, they're pissing everyone off about the lack of an actual Layton 7, which wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for this. This is just insulting, a huge, purposefully insulting move from Level-5.

The game looks horrible and the characters look annoying. That old man in the [url]demo Hino played[/url] walks in the most annoying way ever decided upon. I've never seen a character walk in such annoying manner, and repeat such motion SO MUCH. Were it called any other name or developed by anyone else, it wouldn't matter, the game still looks awfully commercial, cheap and lazy.

They are trying to kill Layton. All I ask is

ZAWA ZAWA

Well clearly no one likes this as you can see by the ammount of dislikes and the comments...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDXoqqHDGE&feature=player_embedded

God, watching the video makes it worse than I could've ever imagined. The characters all look annoying and stupid (especially that old man with the cane. Who walks like that?) I know that Akihiro Hino said
Quote:
If a seventh game was to be born one day, it probably won't be the Layton we know today.

But I never expected something like this! I really hope it's called Layton 7 because there's 7 characters but I doubt it. They're probably just putting the name "Layton" in there so it would sell, just like Mystery Room (though Mystery Room is better than this)

Gettin' Old!

Well Layton games have never been 'numbered' have they? I wouldn't count this as an official sequel, must be a spin off.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Well Layton games have never been 'numbered' have they? I wouldn't count this as an official sequel, must be a spin off.

Yeah, we can safely assume that.

But the fact that they deliberately chose the name "Layton 7" speaks volumes. My theory is they want us to get over the Layton series, while capturing casuals. They could have gone with any title, yet they chose Layton 7. There must be a reason for that. And it's most probably not good for us.

Gettin' Old!

DeMatador wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yeah, we can safely assume that.

But the fact that they deliberately chose the name "Layton 7" speaks volumes. My theory is they want us to get over the Layton series, while capturing casuals. They could have gone with any title, yet they chose Layton 7. There must be a reason for that. And it's most probably not good for us.

Probably just to say it's a spinoff in the Layton universe. It may be a blatant attempt to capture casuals but when they say they've finished the Layton Story spinoffs are all we could really have expected.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ZAWA ZAWA

Actually, now that I think about it, Layton's name is Japanese is Erushāru Reiton, right? So in Japan, shouldn't it be called Reiton 7 instead of Layton 7? But everywhere, it's still called Layton 7.
Darn, it's hard to try to get to the point of what I'm trying to say without writing a three page essay over here. Anyway, since it's called Layton 7 in Japan, does this mean it has nothing to do with the series?

I'm so sorry if you can't understand what I'm trying to say. I tried to make my point; and probably failed.

Gettin' Old!

Baia_74 wrote:
Actually, now that I think about it, Layton's name is Japanese is Erushāru Reiton, right? So in Japan, shouldn't it be called Reiton 7 instead of Layton 7? But everywhere, it's still called Layton 7.
Darn, it's hard to try to get to the point of what I'm trying to say without writing a three page essay over here. Anyway, since it's called Layton 7 in Japan, does this mean it has nothing to do with the series?

I'm so sorry if you can't understand what I'm trying to say. I tried to make my point; and probably failed.

I wouldn't count on it, the art style is similar if not the same.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm not that into RPGs so my interest with this mainly has to do with its strange name.

I'm sure they called it "Layton 7" for a reason. And I don't think it's just to sell copies. Level-5 has many other series than Layton that are successful and people like their games, so if this was unrelated they wouldn't need to call it Layton 7.

It's also possible they are relating to the characters, but my guess is the decision to have 7 characters was in part decided based on the decision to make this "Layton Episode VII". It's almost a reverse of the situation where DS games would always have words that begun with "D" and "S" in the title (or like how Dual Destinies is DD, like Digital Download). Instead of the name being based on a feature the feature is based on the name.

So I can't believe it is unrelated, and I can't imagine that they would call it Layton 7 without thinking about what people will interpret that as. My current belief is that there is something they are not telling us. Maybe this RPG will have mystery elements and you will have to solve puzzles you find. Maybe Layton or his son or both are somehow involved, and they aren't telling us yet. I mean, they waited 8 months to reveal Phoenix in GS5 and they waited over a year to reveal Apollo was there as well, so they might be trying to build up mystery.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.

Fate Testarossa

This looks legitly really terrible.

Fate is made by クロス

Baia_74 wrote:

It has the pronunciation guide (sort of) Reiton Sebun written below the Layton 7, though, so the brand recognition works there too. The title also omits the Professor/-kyouju, but it doesn't make the association any less blatant.

Anyways, whatever irritation I had reading about the game was quickly supplanted by mirth when watching the sheer stupidity that is Layton 7's gameplay. I'd read that Level-5 wanted to end the series after six games, and this is a sure-fire way of ensuring just that.

Maybe the 7 characters are students of Layton that are simply carrying on his legacy by calling themselves 'The Layton 7'. I don't know. The gameplay looks pretty lame from the video, but I'm going to hold off full criticism until we get more information about gameplay/story/etc. I mean, I find it really hard to believe that people are already writing the game off based on a minute long video when the rest of the game could be completely different.

I guess I just have a hard time believing that Level-5 would do this to the Layton series. They've never came off as the "money hungry" type of company.

I don't understand the gameplay.

Before you believe me, please feel your

I must say ..........

GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie's co-council

-Oh my God, they killed Layton!
-You bastards!

Spoiler:
The Layton series, not the Layton character. I mean, what the hell?

I'm not English. Excuse my grammar errors.

Too bad. Waluigi Time.

What... the hell... is this... Where the hell is the Professor?

The dwarf geeky panda!

TheIdioteque wrote:
Maybe the 7 characters are students of Layton that are simply carrying on his legacy by calling themselves 'The Layton 7'. I don't know. The gameplay looks pretty lame from the video, but I'm going to hold off full criticism until we get more information about gameplay/story/etc. I mean, I find it really hard to believe that people are already writing the game off based on a minute long video when the rest of the game could be completely different.

I guess I just have a hard time believing that Level-5 would do this to the Layton series. They've never came off as the "money hungry" type of company.

The rumored Luke sequel! :gant: *BANG* ok maybe not. :meekins:

Well technicaly they ARE a video game compagny and if they want to do good games they need money. So maybe they just are in a ruth? Like putting the layton logo on Mystery room so it could sell well? Even if it has nothing to do with the layton serie's (story wise and gameplay wise.)
Please don't hit me...

I haven't heard about this game in a long time. Was it cancelled?

元・超会社員級の管理人

I doubt it - but it was clearly in very early development when it was shown off in September. Level-5 likes to announce their games early.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

ZAWA ZAWA

Kanji wrote:
I haven't heard about this game in a long time. Was it cancelled?

I don't think so, Level-5 doesn't usually cancel their games. As Bolt said, they like to announce their games early and I find that they take a long time between announcements for the same game. We'll probably hear more about it in the summer, like July or August.

ZAWA ZAWA

As I'm sure most already know, Layton 7 has been re-announced as a totally different game. The only things that are the same between the one announced now and the one in 2013 is that it's still called Layton 7 and there are still 7 characters.

While the other one was a 3D role play puzzle game where you earn points, this one is a party (?) game that uses fortune telling and tarot cards. One of the seven players has the "vampire" role and you have to figure out who it is.

So basically it's a giant game of Clue with fortune telling. And it's only for smartphones.

...a Professor Layton smartphone mafia game? Really?
Signature loading, please wait...

Too many thoughts and nothing to do~

I'm not a big fan of the idea, either, but what can you do.

What I'm personally more curious about is what prompted the change. It's not like there's a high demand for Clue-like party games. Actually, at this point, if it's only a party game, why bother even calling it Layton 7 at all? The early concept didn't seem to have much, if anything, in reference to the original games, but at least the objective was somewhat similar: solve the mystery of... something. But a party game doesn't even have a remotely similar objective at all.
I... don't get it.
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good if I ever use Comic Sans, Arial, Times New Roman, Brush Script, Papyrus, Curlz, Ravie, et cetera."
Friends don't let friends use bad fonts.
Unironically, anyways.

迷探偵

The last time I noticed, Mafia/Werewolf games were immensely popular (I think there's one going on on the forum now?). Even in Japan. Heck, the circle I joined when I was studying there did one during one of the introduction sessions. And as it's a deduction game, it does fit the mystery-game Layton brand Level-5 has been trying to build the last few years (Layton Brothers).

Also, note that the game is called Layton 7 and not Professor Layton. Level-5 probably wants to build the "Layton" brand to a "Mario"-esque type of name (i.e. Mario Kart vs the main Super Mario Bros. series). In Japan, I don't think I've ever heard people refer to the Professor Layton games as Layton 1, Layton 2 etc., (heck, I've seldom heard 'just' Layton, always with "Professor"), so in terms of branding, most people would not think that Layton 7 = a new full-fledged Professor Layton game.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

"Eggs?"

I think hope Level 5 is legitimately trying to make us mad, and they're purposely hiding the professor in the game somewhere (you know, like they did in Mystery Room) or something like that.

Spoiler: Actually, that's not such a bad idea
It could be to where the professor is like a little mini Layton and he goes running around the city hiding puzzles for us to find!

I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!

迷探偵

Hiding the professor? The website makes it rather obvious he's appearing in the game in some kind of form.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Art Person

So is this essentially a free to pay card collecting game? I knew from the outset this wasn't a typical Layton game, but I'm a bit disappointed they're focusing on this and not a sequel to Mystery Room.

迷探偵

No, it's a Mafia/Werewolf game, as mentioned earlier in the topic.

Art Person

Oh, I just saw some pics and saw a bunch of cards with rarities and thought "Not you too Level 5!"
That kinda sounds cool XD I guess they cut the Zombie from the first trailer. I saw the cards and even though it's gibberish, "Vampire" and "Villager" are legible XD

Please let Bill Hawks be a victim.
Page 1 of 1 [ 35 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Labyrinthia (PLvsGS)