Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 18 posts ]

Episode one discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This is the discussion thread for DGS episode one, "The Adventure of the Great Departure"! Please use spoiler tags when discussing any plot points of the episode that haven't been officially announced.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Episode one discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

Oh right, this was a thing.

Accidentally hit PM instead of reply. God dammit.
This case in a nutshell:
Spoiler: Culprit spoilers

~UltrawaveStudios~

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Welp, I finally caught up to the place where I joined the livestream, so I now have a complete picture of this case. And what an impressive case indeed! It's shot up straight to my most favorite among tutorial cases, and I cannot get enough of Asougi's theme. Now that I've played through most of it myself, I noticed that it plays for Susato as well in certain situations. Perhaps they share a theme?

As expected of a GS game, the humor is top-notch. Now I can't unsee several things about Ryu...
Spoiler: minor detail
In particular, his fly was down for the entire trial and he didn't notice until someone brought it up.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Welp, I finally caught up to the place where I joined the livestream, so I now have a complete picture of this case. And what an impressive case indeed! It's shot up straight to my most favorite among tutorial cases, and I cannot get enough of Asougi's theme. Now that I've played through most of it myself, I noticed that it plays for Susato as well in certain situations. Perhaps they share a theme?

Susato also has her own theme. It was posted a few days ago on the court-records tumblr account and you can hear it in her character introduction video.

I was talking about a potential objection theme for her, being a legal assistant and having her own "Objection!" and "Hold it!", but in all likelihood, probably not. Still, I can expect a few variations of certain themes and a diverse soundtrack like that of PLvsAA... considering the composer and all.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Beautiful flower

UltrawaveStudios wrote:
Accidentally hit PM instead of reply. God dammit.
This case in a nutshell:
Spoiler: Culprit spoilers

Perfect summary is perfect. :franny: To be honest, I did wonder if they'd touch that subject, now my suspicion is confirmed.

Case 1 is long and good, definitely the one I like most out of all the tutorial cases! It's the kind of case where you know who's the murderer, but far different from 1-1, proving their guilt is NOT easy. The twists and turns in the testimonies keep you hooked. I worry though, will new players find case 1 too difficult? I feel like this case is like a surprise for old fans, since it bends our expectations. :ron:

I can't say much about the plot itself, I don't know the full details. :payne:

Aside from that, I noticed that the animations are much more smoother than in DD and PL vs AA. I love that instead of awkward sprite-like transition between actions like in DD, the characters do actions naturally now. They finish their current action instead of jumping straight into another one. And even though Payne is a recurring character (kinda), I love that he gets some new animations! (very condescending towards the defense, ha). I've grown to love all the characters in this case.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
As expected of a GS game, the humor is top-notch. Now I can't unsee several things about Ryu...
Spoiler: minor detail
In particular, his fly was down for the entire trial and he didn't notice until someone brought it up.

What a hopeless dork. xD
I'm most active on my tumblr.
Visit my Sprite edit thread

1000% Knight

This was a nice case. It's my 3rd favorite tutorial case, after GK2-1 and 4-1. Jezail especially was fun with her English (although trying to figure out which language everyone is speaking has become quite complicated in this game)

Spoiler:
I got a penalty because I said the poison wasn't in the bottle :< I thought she poisoned Watson's glass, not the bottle--which was also the real reason she took Watson's (not her own) glass. Oh well.

I thought it was interesting that Watson was the victim. It seems pretty obvious that Jezail and this incident will be connected to the overarching plot. My random hunch/prediction is that she'll be the final victim, but we'll see.

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

I'm sure outside of Japan, the main characters speak English. Even in the Japanese script, they mention "Eigo" rather than "Nihongo". The exception comes during the 4th case with a Japanese defendant.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Anyone got a picture of
Spoiler:
Jezail's "Shut up!" bubble?

POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Oh right, this was a thing.

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Anyone got a picture of
Spoiler:

Spoiler: Response to above

~UltrawaveStudios~

Breakdown

Just watched the Capcom Channel live stream where Takumi played through the entirety of the first case.
Spoiler: Breakdown, and AJ 2-4
I swear that's the same exact idea I had in my head for what Alita Tiala's breakdown should've been, right down to the wings flying her off the top of the screen. Only difference is I then imagined her falling back down to the ground too. Epic, loved the first culprit lol.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

UltrawaveStudios wrote:
RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Anyone got a picture of
Spoiler:

Spoiler: Response to above

Ooh, fancy!
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

The video game boy; the one who wins

Spoiler:
Well this didn't pull any punches for a tutorial case. I like how it hopped right into it and how intense it got at time with Ryu being the defendant and all. It reminded me of 4-1 somewhat, being a first case that doesn't feel too much like a tutorial and has a fairly complex plot for a first case (but eventually leaves us hanging especially regarding the culprit's motive).

I liked all of the characters too and their animations were great. The breakdown was delightfully silly and pretty epic at the same time. Same with the moments leading up to Ryu's first "IGIARI!". And who knew Asougi was the one who started with the "ace attorney", "turnabout" and essentially cursing the Payne's :D

My only complaint would be that the steak contradiction was overly drawn out. They spend like a year discussing gobbling down steak and the lady's eating habits when it could have been pointed out from the moment the soldier said he put the coin under his own steak.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Going for Miles wrote:
Spoiler:
Well this didn't pull any punches for a tutorial case. I like how it hopped right into it and how intense it got at time with Ryu being the defendant and all. It reminded me of 4-1 somewhat, being a first case that doesn't feel too much like a tutorial and has a fairly complex plot for a first case (but eventually leaves us hanging especially regarding the culprit's motive).

I liked all of the characters too and their animations were great. The breakdown was delightfully silly and pretty epic at the same time. Same with the moments leading up to Ryu's first "IGIARI!". And who knew Asougi was the one who started with the "ace attorney", "turnabout" and essentially cursing the Payne's :D

My only complaint would be that the steak contradiction was overly drawn out. They spend like a year discussing gobbling down steak and the lady's eating habits when it could have been pointed out from the moment the soldier said he put the coin under his own steak.

Yaaaay you're finally playing DGS :D

Spoiler: D-1
I pretty much agree with your criticisms of this case, though. Yeah, it's pretty fun and all but the end just drags on and makes the case feel unnecessarily boring. Pity, because other than that it's actually a very good tutorial.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Southern Corn wrote:

Yaaaay you're finally playing DGS :D

Spoiler: D-1
I pretty much agree with your criticisms of this case, though. Yeah, it's pretty fun and all but the end just drags on and makes the case feel unnecessarily boring. Pity, because other than that it's actually a very good tutorial.

Wiiiie :D
Spoiler:
Exactly, it started off great but could have been tighter at the end, especially since at that point it was no question where it was going anyway.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Going for Miles wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yup!! Is it the first time ep 1 could be so long and difficulty like this? I played 5 hours for DGS first ep! so tired

Finally played because I wanted my AA fix NOW

Spoiler: Case 1
I enjoyed this case but it's probably my fourth or fifth favorite first case overall. Overall I'll say the game seems promising.

I think a lot of it felt kind of bland humor-wise. Or maybe just too drawn out. I don't know if it's some awkward translation issues (I don't actually care that much, I'm just happy to play at all) if that's just the way it was but I felt bored at a good amount of parts. This case is long, or at least it feels that way. I will say I've started a bit of the next case and it does seem funnier already so it might be exclusive to this one.

The mystery was somewhat interesting but still left me with some questions by the end. It was kind of just a testimony battle with the culprit and I thought this was actually cool at first but this too just went way too long. I will say realizing how the toothache tied back into everything at the end was a very cool turnabout. But the mystery was a bit unsatisfying in that her plan was to just get a bunch of people to cover for her after shooting them. I suspect I'll get more context to this later but at the moment it seems weird that she was literally able to get away with murder since even searching her would be terrible for British relations.

Also the other witnesses were kind of unmemorable. I enjoyed the father, but I actually don't remember either of their names. I get that people can appreciate having more suspects but I prefer the characters be more memorable even if they're more limited.

I don't wanna sound like a Negative Nancy though because I did enjoy it. It just didn't rekindle the AA fire in me. But still a huge, huge thank you to Scarlet Study for working for nothing on this just to give Western AA fans what they've wanted for so long.

Also question: like BP I thought the glass itself was poisoned. That wasn't the case but why did Jezail take the glass at all? Maybe this will be answered later but it didn't give that impression.

Spoiler: Case 1
Is no one gonna mention how awesome the judge was?
Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street