Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 2[ 73 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

English Name Suggestions for DGS Characters (Spoilers?)Topic%20Title

Winter Flag Trademark

Yeah, so I was thinking of creating a thread for people to suggest an English name for these DGS characters who don't have, like Ryunnosuke, Susato, etc. They're wearing Japanese names. Even I asked myself, what be their English Names?

So go ahead, suggest an English name of these DGS Characters wearing Japanese Names.

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Re: English Name Suggestions for DGS Characters (Spoilers?)Topic%20Title

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

Clearly the protagonist's name will be Phoelo Wright

Oh right, this was a thing.

Susato: Not-Maya Fey
Asogi: Not-Edgeworth/Male Mia
Bangeiks: Not-Edgeworth/von Karma

And yes I'm still calling him Baroque Bangeiks. It sounds better than Barok Van Zeiks.
~UltrawaveStudios~

Racing through the sky like a Missile

^ Two main characters having the same name would be a problem, you know.

I can only assume Sherlock's new name will become "Thatsherlock Holmes". To be fair, he deserves it.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Ryu: Reagan Wright. I got "Reagan" from "regal", which relates to "royal". This is fitting for an imperial setting.
Susato: Susan Mikotoba.
Asogi: Ace Windham. The surname is a good choice, especially since his headband always flutters in the WIND. And when it comes to legal studies, he's literally an ACE.
Taketsuchi Auchi: Shuriken Payne, as in "Shriek in pain".
Jezail Brett: Jiselle Brett. Changed the spelling a bit.
Yujin Mikotoba (Susato's dad): Yet another spelling alteration: Eugene Mikotoba.
Barok van Zieks: Hayden van Damme. I got "Hayden" from "Hades", Greek god of the underworld, and "van Damme" comes from "damned".
Taizou Uzukumaru: Trevor Crouch.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Last edited by Yash K. Productions on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

Baroque van Ischer would sound way cooler and more imposing for him though <3

They shouldn't change the name of any Japanese character in the game. I don't know all the English characters, but of course they also shouldn't change the likes of Sherlock Holmes, Iris Watson, Gina Lestrade or other character with names from the Holmes novels.
But e.g. characters like Hurt Vortex or Cosney Megendal could get new english names with puns for the English speaking audience.

Resident Hybrid

Lusankya wrote:
They shouldn't change the name of any Japanese character in the game. I don't know all the English characters, but of course they also shouldn't change the likes of Sherlock Holmes, Iris Watson, Gina Lestrade or other character with names from the Holmes novels.
But e.g. characters like Hurt Vortex or Cosney Megendal could get new english names with puns for the English speaking audience.

Agreed. Localizing the Japanese characters' names would feel too forced in this instance, in my honest opinion.

That said, I also think RayquazaSenpai's suggestion of Hayden van Damme would be an excellent replacer for Barok van Zieks. It just... works.

(I really wish I had some better suggestions other than the joke "Justin Tyme" for Hurt / Hart Vortex, but blegh.)

Main character's name could be Alexander Wright after Alexander the Great. Alexander earned the epithet "the Great" due to his unparalleled success as a military commander.[72] He never lost a battle, despite typically being outnumbered.[

The name Αλέξανδρος (Alexander) derives from the Greek verb ἀλέξω (alexō) "ward off, avert, defend"[251][252] and ἀνδρ- (andr-), the stem of ἀνήρ (anēr) "man",[253][252] and means "protector of men."[254]

Many past names for ace attorney characters come from ancient greece.

Obviously there is also LEX in name, which means law in latin.

That's actually a really good candidate if the title is indeed localized as "The Great Ace Attorney". I never really saw him as an "Alex", though to be fair, I also thought Athena would have been "Artemis" instead.

And I'd like to change my nickname for Mr. Holmes. He will instead be called "Thats-her-lock Holmes".
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Asogi is definitely going to be "Windham". No objections. :edgeworth:
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

There is only one truth!

Copying some of these over from a previous post. Most of the English character names can stay the same, Hatch, Gina Lestrade, Iris Watson, etc. The Japanese names have to stay Japanese. This "Japanifornia" the AA fandom seems to get hung up on just needs to crawl away and silently die in a dark forgotten corner. Forcing it won't make anything better.

Ryu Raito for Ryūnosuke Naruhodō - He keeps a Japanese sounding name because he is obviously Japanese. Raito is Wright backromanized. When the ancestor naturalized, he switched his name to an English-natural spelling like many immigrants do. Ryu Raito is alliterative to boot. Ryu is short and easy to say, and it sounds cool to western ears.

Shuriken Peinu for Taketsuchi Auchi - Full credit goes to RayquazaSenpai(?) who suggested "Shuriken Payne" ("Shriek in pain") as the name which is absolutely top notch. The only quibble is that "Payne" is not very Japanese, so backromanize it to "Peinu".

Susa Mikotoba for Susato Mikotoba - It's a Japanese name. The given name drops the -to so it sounds a bit more feminine to western ears. Susa can pick up Susie or Susan as a nickname for English benefit. "Miko" is a fairly recognizable Japanese word (a priestess) and "Mikotoba" is fairly easy to say. The family name doesn't get used much after the first case since she is an assistant and gets on first-name terms with others quickly so it doesn't matter if it is unfamiliar.

Kenan Kaze for Kazuma Asōgi - Kenan and Kaze are super easy on English tongues. English-speakers, and especially Americans, are somewhat likely to know the word kaze (wind) from the suicide pilots' kamikaze (divine wind). Kenan is a triple allusion to swords (剣 ken), unresolved problems (懸案 Kenan), and autopsy (検案 Kenan). The whole name together sounds like "ken and kaze": sword and wind.

Bram Valkyr for Barok van Zieks/Baroque Bangieks - Although English, his name has to change because it simply isn't cool. Bram is from Bram Stoker, author of Dracula. It has the convenience of beginning with a B like the Japanese counterpart. The family name needs to reference something to do with psychopomps or the underworld to complete the prosecutor's theme. After drawing many blanks, I picked Valkyr, an obvious reference to Valkyries. It also starts with a V like the Japanese counterpart (V/B being a thing in Japanese). "Prosecutor Valkyr" sounds awesome enough. I decided not to force the "van Something" (like van Helsing) because Bram is vampire enough, anymore on top of that is overkill.

Chron ____ for Hurt/Heart Vortex

Jezail Bullitt - Jezail stays as is to keep the reference to Watson's injury from a Jezail Bullet. I since come around to whoever suggested Bullitt as an alternative to Brett.

Benedict Scramble for Egg Benedict, the alias of Robert Crogley. It's still unbelievable and egg based. Name initials are highly relevant in the case 5 Sherlock section, so Benedict Scramble is ... very suitable.

Megendahl is an awesome name. I really hope they keep it. It just sounds magical even if it is a Japanese pun.

Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:14 am, edited 10 times in total.

Takumi's real reason for not revealing Barok van Zieks' name origin is most likely because the pun is rather obvious. A few fans on Pixiv have posted their thoughts on his name pun and come upon this: 万事休す (banji kyuusu), which means "There is nothing more that can be done". (Note that his name is pronounced "Banji-kusu" in katakana.) In a way, it makes him seem like he's resigned himself to his cursed fate.

In any case, quite a few of the English names will need to be changed as well, just to allow the localization team to throw in their own puns based on English terms. Likewise, I can accept Japanese names that sound like English words. They made it work for that old grump Kudo.

There is only one truth!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Takumi's real reason for not revealing Barok van Zieks' name origin is most likely because the pun is rather obvious. A few fans on Pixiv have posted their thoughts on his name pun and come upon this: 万事休す (banji kyuusu), which means "There is nothing more that can be done". (Note that his name is pronounced "Banji-kusu" in katakana.) In a way, it makes him seem like he's resigned himself to his cursed fate.

Sorry, I just edited that line out before I saw your post. If I confused anyone, please know that it is entirely my fault. I think Bram is an amazing first name, but the last name could definitely change to reflect the curse.

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
In any case, quite a few of the English names will need to be changed as well, just to allow the localization team to throw in their own puns based on English terms. Likewise, I can accept Japanese names that sound like English words. They made it work for that old grump Kudo.
I think the most vulnerable names to change will be the suspects and witnesses rather than main characters. Some of the ones with English language-based puns like Jezail Brett (Jezail Bullet) can stay the same. Others like Hurt Vortex must go.

----

The knife barber juror, if he ever gets a name, has to be Jack because he is a Jack the Ripper expy for sure.

Winter Flag Trademark

Well, this was made to assist the DGS Localization Team as well. Not to mention, I'm quite lost with the question, what could be their English Names?

I don't think I could make up with Chekhov's suggestions. Those were quite obvious and has low English-nesses. Japanese is just a little too much. Sorry.

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

Ace Pointer wrote:
Well, this was made to assist the DGS Localization Team as well. Not to mention, I'm quite lost with the question, what could be their English Names?

I don't think I could make up with Chekhov's suggestions. Those were quite obvious and has low English-nesses. Japanese is just a little too much. Sorry.

Don't tell me you got Capcom syndrome... :ron:

There is only one truth!

Ace Pointer wrote:
Well, this was made to assist the DGS Localization Team as well.
Out of curiosity, does the Capcom localization team actually visit Court-Records? Have there been any incidents where they have borrowed Court-Record ideas? (Unless you are referring to a fan translation team)

Ace Pointer wrote:
Japanese is just a little too much. Sorry.
It's fun and games to come up with Anglicized names for the Japanese characters, but if you are seriously suggesting that Capcom will give the Japanese characters English-style names in a localization, that is completely wrong. Dai Gyakuten Saiban simply doesn't work without Japanese. Japanese vs English is one of the central themes of the game: Natsume Souseki, the international incident, the casual Japanese-specific racism-related character developments, the entire first case... There is no way to stuff Japan under a rug. I can absolutely one-hundred percent guarantee that if Capcom (or a fan team) localizes this game, Japan will stay Japan and the main Japanese characters will have Japanese names because that is what is appropriate for them (although they can pick up English nicknames). The whole point of the game is that the Japanese characters are up against a foreign system, and they have to be foreign for this game to make sense and emotionally feel right. Los Angeles and London in the 1900s are simply too culturally similar - the culture shock isn't strong enough.

Edit: In the first case, Ryuu has to raise his hand and ask what a particular food involved in the crime is: A beefsteak. You might be able to convince me that there is a secret spirit medium retreat in some ill-defined Californian mountains, but there is a line somewhere, and an American not knowing what a beefsteak is has definitely crossed it.

Winter Flag Trademark

Fools. I was talking about the FAN TRANSLATORS.

? What does that have to do with anything? A fan translation is even more likely to keep the Japanese names since most people seem to think the way Capcom tries to make the setting American is stupid anyway.
Signature loading, please wait...

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

I still don't understand how some people are still comfortable with Japanifornia. I mean jeez-us. We had a "town exclusively populated by japanese immigrants".

Oh and Takeshi Auchi = Weasley Payne
Wheeze in pain
~UltrawaveStudios~

Wikia Ace Attorney Wiki admin

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Copying some of these over from a previous post. Most of the English character names can stay the same, Hatch, Gina Lestrade, Iris Watson, etc. The Japanese names have to stay Japanese. This "Japanifornia" the AA fandom seems to get hung up on just needs to crawl away and silently die in a dark forgotten corner. Forcing it won't make anything better.

Ryu Raito for Ryūnosuke Naruhodō - He keeps a Japanese sounding name because he is obviously Japanese. Raito is Wright backromanized. When the ancestor naturalized, he switched his name to an English-natural spelling like many immigrants do. Ryu Raito is alliterative to boot. Ryu is short and easy to say, and it sounds cool to western ears.

Ichi Ouchi for Taketsuchi Auchi - Ouchi makes the pun a little more obvious and encourages English speakers to pronounce it right. Ichi sounds like "itchy" which in the context of an ouchy is unpleasant sounding - a good feeling to capture for Payne and his ilk. Ichi also means "one", which makes translating Auchi's inevitable "I'm the best" boasts all that much easier.

Susa Mikotoba for Susato Mikotoba - It's a Japanese name. The given name drops the -to so it sounds a bit more feminine to western ears. Susa can pick up Susie or Susan as a nickname for English benefit. "Miko" is a fairly recognizable Japanese word (a priestess) and "Mikotoba" is fairly easy to say. The family name is unlikely to be used often since she is an assistant so it doesn't matter if it is unfamiliar.

Kaze Asōgi for Kazuma Asōgi - This guy is tough because he will need a Japanese name. He might as well keep the original (A reference to teamwork and one truth), but I think some things can be done to make the breeze motif come out more. English-speakers, and especially Americans, are somewhat likely to know the word kaze (wind) from the suicide pilots' kamikaze (divine wind).

Bram Valkyr for Barok van Zieks/Baroque Bangieks - Although English, his name has to change because it simply isn't cool. Bram is from Bram Stoker, author of Dracula. It has the convenience of beginning with a B like the Japanese counterpart. The family name needs to reference something to do with psychopomps or the underworld to complete the prosecutor's theme. After drawing many blanks, I picked Valkyr, an obvious reference to Valkyries. It also starts with a V like the Japanese counterpart (V/B being a thing in Japanese). "Prosecutor Valkyr" sounds awesome enough. I decided not to force the "van Something" (like van Helsing) because Bram is vampire enough, anymore on top of that is overkill.

Chron ____ for Hurt/Heart Vortex

Jezail Brett - stays as is to keep the reference to Watson's injury from a Jezail Bullet. Both parts of the name sounds fine to English ears.

Megendahl is an awesome name. I really hope they keep it. It just sounds magical even if it is a Japanese pun.

I don't see the point of backromanizing the Wright name. Even if we accept that Ryu is a Japanese ancestor of Phoenix's, do their surnames necessarily have to be the same? I know that naturalized surnames are a thing (e.g. Park, Lee), but I'm not sure that such an explanation could be convincingly conveyed to non-Asian Westerners. Similarly, I'm not convinced that too many Westerners actually know what "kaze" means, and certainly wouldn't get that information from "kamikaze" unless they bothered to study the history.

As for Jezail, surprisingly, Bullitt is an actual name, and not just as a movie title, either. I personally went with Brett because I guess it still made more sense to me as a name that would exist. However, in a localization, the pun wouldn't work with Brett and maybe using Bullitt or Bullette or whatever would be best. Then again, Bullitt is a movie and Bulette is a D&D monster...

Broocevelt wrote:
I still don't understand how some people are still comfortable with Japanifornia. I mean jeez-us. We had a "town exclusively populated by japanese immigrants".

I think the sentiment is less "comfort" and more "quiet resignation."

There is only one truth!

capefeather wrote:
I don't see the point of backromanizing the Wright name. Even if we accept that Ryu is a Japanese ancestor of Phoenix's, do their surnames necessarily have to be the same?
The surnames of Ryu and Phoenix are the same in Japanese (Naruhodō" 成歩堂), so that means they should also be the same for the English version in order to establish the connection in the same manner. The problem is "Wright" isn't Japanese. The solution is to pick the most similar Japanese equivalent: Raito.

capefeather wrote:
Similarly, I'm not convinced that too many Westerners actually know what "kaze" means, and certainly wouldn't get that information from "kamikaze" unless they bothered to study the history.

As for Jezail, surprisingly, Bullitt is an actual name, and not just as a movie title, either. I personally went with Brett because I guess it still made more sense to me as a name that would exist. However, in a localization, the pun wouldn't work with Brett and maybe using Bullitt or Bullette or whatever would be best. Then again, Bullitt is a movie and Bulette is a D&D monster...
It's just my preference, but I like puns that aren't completely obvious: ones you have to think about a little before it hits. For the Japanese characters at least, I think rewarding an English player who knows a little Japanese is appropriate for this title, the same as how the game rewards people who have read the Sir ACD's Sherlock stories.

capefeather wrote:
I don't see the point of backromanizing the Wright name. Even if we accept that Ryu is a Japanese ancestor of Phoenix's, do their surnames necessarily have to be the same? I know that naturalized surnames are a thing (e.g. Park, Lee), but I'm not sure that such an explanation could be convincingly conveyed to non-Asian Westerners. Similarly, I'm not convinced that too many Westerners actually know what "kaze" means, and certainly wouldn't get that information from "kamikaze" unless they bothered to study the history.

Have faith. The AA fandom isn't that culturally inept. And even if they are, it wouldn't hurt to teach them a few things. :)

That said, I agree. I'd prefer the localization team refrains from using Japanese puns in their names. They've never done so before, and I doubt they'll start now. Yes, they should keep a lot of the names of the Japanese characters as Japanese (with the exception of Wright for obvious reasons), but those Japanese names should still have English-related puns. It's less about letting the players know what those puns are and more about being creative on their end. The pun in Mia Fey's name actually went well over my head for quite a while before I realized what it meant. That one was brilliant.

If keeping them Japanese is too frustrating a restriction, then give some of them English-sounding names instead. It's set in a time when Westernization is big in Japan. There's no doubt some people would go for more Western-sounding names as well. Likewise, there were plenty of Japanophiles that arrived around then. They can mix-and-match.

In any case, the tie between Phoenix and Ryu must be made obvious. No shortcuts, no twists, nothing. Heck, if they call him Edward after a certain famous Englishman who invented a certain English martial art that Doyle famously misspelled, then I would have called that from way back.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
This "Japanifornia" the AA fandom seems to get hung up on just needs to crawl away and silently die in a dark forgotten corner.

Get out. GET! OUT!!! :edgeworth:

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
This "Japanifornia" the AA fandom seems to get hung up on just needs to crawl away and silently die in a dark forgotten corner.

Get out. GET! OUT!!! :edgeworth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XgvHPt1cg
~UltrawaveStudios~

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

I think you both misunderstood him. Unless you're both advocates for Japanifornia.

Broocevelt wrote:
I think you both misunderstood him. Unless you're both advocates for Japanifornia.

If that "both" includes me, I was just throwing the Seinfeld in there. I actually agree that the whole Japanifornia thing is a bit old...
~UltrawaveStudios~

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Broocevelt wrote:

*cough* Nine-Tails Vale *cough*

Also, I have two more suggestions:

Taizou Uzukumaru: Trevor Crouch. Taizou has the kanji "三" ("Zou"), which can also be read as "San", which means "three".
Teito Yūmei Daigaku: Imperial Ivy University. T&T explains it. And yes, I know that "Teito" doesn't mean "imperial"...I think. (Someone needs to brush up on their Japanese.)

Redd White X Redd White is my OTP

I once saw a post saying that Taketsuchi Auchi's English name should be Shuriken Payne and I've never agreed with anything else as much in my entire life.

Winter Flag Trademark

Shruiken Payne... Shook in Pain?

Redd White X Redd White is my OTP

I thought it was Shriek in Pain, although Shook in Pain works too.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Dogtimus Prime wrote:
I once saw a post saying that Taketsuchi Auchi's English name should be Shuriken Payne and I've never agreed with anything else as much in my entire life.

It's...just...PERFECT!!!

-Doing an alternation to Jezail: Jiselle Bullette.

Winter Flag Trademark

^ 4 Stars.

RayquazaSenpai wrote:
Dogtimus Prime wrote:

It's...just...PERFECT!!!

-Doing an alternation to Jezail: Jiselle Bullette.

ジェゼール・ブレット / Jezail Brett: In the original Holmes novels, Watson was shot by a Jezail bullet. Jeremy Brett was one of the better known actors of Sherlock Holmes on TV.

I don't think Brett's surname needs change.

I thought of couple of names:

Barok van Zieks - Balthazar/Baron van Quiche/Quicher/Quisham/Guishem

Balthazar is cool name and also a large bottle containing 12 litres, the equivalent of 16 regular wine bottles.

Baron would noble title like count (Dracula), but also can be used as first name.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2015/0 ... ith-quiche
"Quiche—with its custardy filling set in a buttery pastry—is best with higher-acid reds or
full-bodied but bright whites that will cut through all of that richness. No surprise: French
wines are best with this resolutely French dish."

And also there is vanquish.

Also I really don't like Hayden Van Damme, because it reminds me of hayden christensen
and jean-claude van damme.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladyfirst sounds bit ackward, so I thought something like these:

Adam Ladyfirst - Leman Gent/Adam Shelby...

Leman Gent is obviously pun on gentleman.

Adam Shelby is pun on "a damsel by", but I don't know would
it need something more to make sense.

1000% Knight

As long as they keep "Egg Benedict" I don't think it really matters what the other names are.

On a more serious note: not exactly sure what it should be, but Fairplay's localized name should be a reference to Knox and/or Van Dine, as they've written the two most famous rules for "fair play" mysteries.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Writer

I would rather play a game with Japanese names on this one. I mean, this time it's practically impossible to mask that they come from Japan (I mean, sure, Japanifornia is sort of a weird tale to swallow, but at least it doesn't look 100% Japanese).

What they might end up doing is give them names that sound japanese, but are actually english puns. I think that could work better than to mask the fact that they are so very Japanese.

Can we just pick Chekhov MacGuffin as head name maker and call it a day? The suggestions they made are perfect.

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

Sligneris wrote:
Can we just pick Chekhov MacGuffin as head name maker and call it a day? The suggestions they made are perfect.

If we're going to stick with his suggestions, then what's the point of this thread?
Page 1 of 2 [ 73 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street