Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices

Page 16 of 18[ 690 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Re: What Are You Reading Now?Topic%20Title

Fennekin210 wrote:
Anyone have a sci-fi manga they'd recommend?

Um, Parasyte? It contains aliens, so that's scifi, right? Though it's also a bit horror. And I find the gore pictures to be hilarious...

C-A

迷探偵

Fennekin210 wrote:

Depends on what kind of science fiction you want to read (hard SF?), but the books set in the future in Tezuka's Phoenix series are all great. Actually, the whole series is fantastic. To Terra... is also a classic SF series I enjoyed. For a more gritty SF manga, there's always Ghost in the Shell (the manga, movies and TV series are all a bit different, so even if you did not like one medium, it's quite possible you like another one).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Call me Ishmael.

Fennekin210 wrote:
Naoki Urasawa's Pluto, an adaptation of an arc from Astro Boy.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

Does anyone know a nice romance/school-life manga, where the main couple is overall very believeable and realistic, but the final chapter ultimately shows that they broke up post-graduation and both (or just one of them) has moved onto someone else and is rather happy? I'm kinda sick of school couples remaining together and getting married and having children in the finale.

C-A

earthlings on fire

I recently finished The Danish Girl. It was very good, very immersive. The whole book felt like a watercolour painting...just like those painted by the characters. I would love to see the movie, but it never came to any theatres near me... I guess I'll have to wait until it's on Netflix or something.
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow

Been in a huge anime/manga funk for some time now but while shopping for manga for friends, I picked up Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) for myself on a whim

Next day I ran back to the store to get the other volumes

ow my heart

plz stop

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Been in a huge anime/manga funk for some time now but while shopping for manga for friends, I picked up Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) for myself on a whim

Next day I ran back to the store to get the other volumes

ow my heart

plz stop

Please tell me your heart hurt because you had to drink copious amounts of alcohol and fatty food, just to deal with everyone's massive, obnoxious stupidity. (I gave up on the series partway through. Yeah, I read spoilers for the rest, but excuse me, I do not feel like I need to read FIFTY chapters worth of people being assholes, just for ONE getting some come-uppance, but still refusing to accept responsibility) I think the story worked better as the one-shot it originally was.

C-A

I'm only halfway through but I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of the story

Cat, doesn't it ever get exhausting hating and being hypercritical of everything? :yogi:

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
I'm only halfway through but I'm pretty sure you missed the entire point of the story

Cat, doesn't it ever get exhausting hating and being hypercritical of everything? :yogi:

The point of the story? "Don't be a dick, whether to people with handicaps or those without"
I don't need to read a manga to tell me that, that type of message has been smashed into our brains from childhood onward, if not by our parents then through school or TV afternoon 'special' messages.

I do not understand Mr Protagonist's reason. "I will kill myself because I was horrible as a kid, but I will pay back the 1.7 million yen I made my mother spend on my asshole behavior". (What the hell is THAT supposed to accomplish?!) See, I can't even remember his name. Shouya? And her name is Shouko. She doesn't know how to properly help herself - her mother doesn't care to understand her, though she did smack a girl, years after said girl bullied Shouko. Just FYI, do not give your two leads similar names, it leads (ha ha) to confusion and easily misreading one for the other.

The classmates? Assholes. I don't care if they are kids, they are still assholes. The teacher is also an asshole. I know Japan is very different about handicaps than the west, but the way the teacher acts, I just wanted to burst into the school and demand to know why this jerk-off still had a job. Oh, and the kids? Half of them don't care that they bullied someone as a kid, nor that they bullied their 'friend' when they were like, "Oh, shit! We are about to face consequences, quick, let's all pretend it was never our fault!" Worst is Kawaii who has deluded herself so much that she actually believes she never had a hand in bullying Shouko.

I'm not hypercritical, I just see no point in prolonging a story that was comprehensively done in one chapter. Especially because KnK was released WITH the one shot as the first chapter. And then you had the first chapter of it as a series, which was basically the same one-shot you just read. I already know that he'll apologize. And even with the series, Shouko forgives him way too fast. Oh, wow, he learned sign language and is apologizing. THAT makes up for mocking her, ripping out her hearing aid MULTIPLE TIMES, forcing her to get new ones and her mother to spend money on more, destroying her property and similar. What a wonderful guy, I wish I could date him!

C-A

Yeah this is exactly what I was talking about

I'm not going to get into a debate with you over the details of the story because I honestly see zero point in doing so

Sorry it's not your cup of tea but I'm enjoying it quite a bit despite the flaws

Hates Teen Titan justice

I'm reading the call of the jersey devil by Aurelio Voltaire.

It's a little mature in language for me but I'm enjoying so far. :edgey: :edgey: :edgey:
"They won't find the generators Robin and they can't see me they can't see the truth Robin even when it's right in front of them."-Slade

I'm reading Doctor Who The Dangrous Book of Monsters "The doctors Offical guide"

Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick, though admittedly a slightly shortened version. Ishmael's philosophical off-topic ramblings are my favorite parts.

I also bought the first volume of Black Jack. I did not like the pilot story very much but everything else is really good and the protagonist is a very well-written and stylish anti-hero. Osamu Tezuka's works tend to be hit and miss for me (kind of a given; I think he had a bigger and more diverse selection of works than any other mangaka) but this one is really addictive. Most of the science is made-up though, right?

Finally, I'm reading a Swedish Sherlock Holmes book which combines a murder mystery with Christian apologetics, namely the topic of the resurrection. Got it from a church friend.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247

I like to think I'm a scientist

I'm reading a book of short stories by Ted Chiang, Stories of Your Life and Others, and man, it's blowing me away. They're extremely weird and very original sci-fi/fantasy stories and all of them are gorgeous, masterfully crafted, and varying levels of unsettling.

I'm also realizing, reading them, that I've actually read a couple of the stories before, and been a massive fan of Ted Chiang for longer than I thought. (I read "Seventy-Two Letters" years ago in the VanDerMeers' steampunk anthalogy, and it was my favorite story in the book. It's still brilliant. If you like weird sci-fi at all, I highly recommend Stories of Your Life and Others.

(I'm also trying to catch up on Diamond is Unbreakable before part 4 anime in the spring)
Great big hopefully-scientific Ace Attorney fandom shipping survey: http://aceattorneyshipping.tumblr.com/

Beware of the Dog

I just finished Haruki Murakami's "1Q84", and I liked it a lot. Someone here who knows it? ...And I'm also reading "A geek in Japan", in English.

I like to think I'm a scientist

Viktoria von Karma wrote:
I just finished Haruki Murakami's "1Q84", and I liked it a lot. Someone here who knows it? ...

Haha man, I started that almost a year ago and am still... about a third of the way through. I really should go back and finish it at some point...
Great big hopefully-scientific Ace Attorney fandom shipping survey: http://aceattorneyshipping.tumblr.com/

Ace Explorer

Does reading through code count? Because that's what I'm doing, trying to figure out just what isn't working.
Well? Are we going or what?

Doctor Who How To Be A Timelord Offical Guide

[Whip the cream!]

Rereading My grandma sends her regards and apologies by Fredrik Backman. It's adorable.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!

Beware of the Dog

venatrixlunaris wrote:
Viktoria von Karma wrote:
I just finished Haruki Murakami's "1Q84", and I liked it a lot. Someone here who knows it? ...

Haha man, I started that almost a year ago and am still... about a third of the way through. I really should go back and finish it at some point...

And I had stopped reading it for some weeks or months, then read more then a half of it in only two days... Instead of doing anything useful within those two free days. I did nearly nothing except of reading... :ron:

I just finished one of Kathy Reichs' "Temperance 'Bones' Brennan" books. Bones to Ashes. Or Burns to Ashes. Whatever. It was okay, I love the forensic part and talk about anatomy, it's the type of book where you need to keep your brain active and following. But this just DRAGGED ON after a while. Also, HALF of the history stuff they blabbed about could be cut down to half the words and still reveal the necessary elements in it to the plot.

Also, one of the bad-good guys' motives for keeping the villain safe makes me wonder why he didn't just shoot the guy. Would have saved everyone, including young girls.

C-A

El Psy Congroo

Currently re-reading the Sherlock Holmes stories (totally not inspired by Dai Gyakuten Saiban!)

I am reading a sporking on Divergent. Jeez, that book is so stupid! Also, can I just say that whenever I read 'faction' I want to read it as 'fraction'? Oh, and Roth? Stop insulting and nitpicking that intelligence is evil! I don't care if you felt bad about intelligent people a few years ago, your 'dystopia' is not a dystopia at all, since you don't treat it like one. (Oh, and kindly stop sucking the dicks of your 'selfless' Abnegation people. They are selfish and jerks in all their 'selflessness')

C-A

I'm reading John Grisham's The Runaway Jury.

Overall, I enjoy Grisham's books and writing style. He writes about the law and he knows about the law and it's very nice to read about law that isn't an infuriating circus like AA. But I am so sick of the members of this jury.

They whine about everything. They pull stupid stunts - all orchestrated mostly by Nicholas Easter - which really test my patience. Personally, if I had been the judge and they refused to get their baggage checked prior to sequestering (read: locking down) the jury in a hotel, I would have told them all to go home, they are off the jury and a new one will be decided. And the sequestering only happened because they were being followed and influenced by both sides of the trial.

And there's a damn good reason for your baggage to be checked! No, it doesn't matter that you're not terrorists, but it still needs to be checked. Got to make sure you don't have any items that are on a written form to be forbidden to be in your possession during this time, etc. They are trying to keep you safe and free of influence from the defense and the plaintiff.

And this case is a civil one, where the defense are tobacco companies and the plaintiff is the widow of a guy who died of lungcancer after smoking 3 packs a day for 30 years. Gee, wonder what could have attributed to getting the lung cancer? And some of these 'revelations' seem really stupid and fall flat. They say there's a memo from a 1930 study that nicotine in cigarettes makes them addictive. Okay. In 1970, a guy finds that memo and how the attempt at getting cigarettes with less nicotine produced was sabotaged, because the companies didn't want to do that. So, you have the jury all shocked that companies are purposefully keeping the nicotine high in cigarettes, to make them addictive and sell more. No! Really? That is the most diabolical, meanspirited idea to EVER have been created; only a person who is Satan Incarnate could come up with such a plan!

These people need to be thrown out of the jury. I don't care if this thing took 4 years to get this far, get a new jury and sequester them to begin with. (They even want to go OUTSIDE, despite being sequestered. DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT SEQUESTERED MEANS!?)

C-A

:)

Japanese For Dummies, Instant Japanese, Japanese Dictionary, and a few other Japanese guides. Even though I've picked up bits and bobs about the language from anime, manga and games over the years and also when I was in Japan. I've only been seriously studying the Japanese language for about a month when I started using my Lang-8 account.

1000% Knight

I got a kindle paperwhite to read Japanese books easily, so I picked up 点と線 (Points and Lines) by Seicho Matsumoto, which is supposed to be one of the classic Japanese mystery novels.
Spoiler:
Just started, but Yasuda is acting reaaaaaally suspicious. Although this could easily be more of a howdunit than a whodunit. But yeah we'll see. All I know about 点と線 besides its general reputation is that it involves very precise train timing. (Which is why it's a Japanese book--it'd never work in America.)

Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

迷探偵

Love the book. One of the few I have in both Japanese and English actually. And no, it's not a whodunit. It's an alibi deconstruction story, so you usually know who the murderer is, you just need to figure out how. It's a bit dated, but still fun.

I lived for about a year in Kashiihama by the way and the way Matsumoto used the two Kashii stations in this book is really neat.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

1000% Knight

I liked the beginning when he was at Tokyo and I kinda knew what he was talking about... but now he's at Kashii and I have no idea what's going on xD

On my other/old kindle, I enlarge diagrams by using horizontal view, but this kindle doesn't have that so it's kind of hard to see the map. I can make it out good enough, though. Now I just need to keep track of all these train timings...

I'm reading "The Confession" by John Grisham.
A man (Travis) committed a murder and hid the body, leading to an innocent boy (Donté) to be convicted of rape and murder. Nine years have passed and Donté's execution via lethal injection is only a few days away. At the same time, Travis has learned that he has a malignent brain tumor that is inoperable. Soon, he will die. Thinking of what he has done, Travis thinks of confessing his crime and saving Donté.

Some parts of the story seemed exaggerated to me, but then I learned that the crime and majority of the story took place in Texas. Knowing that, some of the... more infurating aspects of the culture make much more sense to me. I still don't LIKE them, but it makes sense.

Overall, the plot sounds like it would be over very soon. Regardless of where they are, Travis could just say, "I killed the girl. This is how I got her, this is how I raped and killed her, this is where I buried her (since her body has not been found) AND I have her class ring as a memento, that I carry with me at all times". But, of course, the simple way of doing things won't work. Cause Travis apparently doesn't want to legally admit he killed anyone... I mean, no offense, that's about as bad as what his previous convictions were, so...

I do feel sorry for Donté's family. I honestly feel for them.
Contrary to the victim's mom. She calls herself a victim of the crime - now, that might technically be true, but... You aren't supposed to ENJOY being the victim of having YOUR CHILD BRUTALLY MURDERED! And ignoring her horrible Christian behavior (nothing against Christians, but she is one of those that give them bad names), she is still a pompous, self-centered woman who needs to be shot. Whether with a tranquilizer to shut her up or a bullet, I'm not sure. Just make her stop talking.

The interrogation of Donté was pretty disgusting. Aside from it being based on NOTHING (seriously, there is NO evidence of him having committed the crime, outside of a very biased and obviously lying witness - but Texas apparently can convict you of murder, without having found a body), it talked about how the police just kept abusing its power. Like, they are allowed to lie and whatever they want while interrogating, to get a confession.

You know, if this is honestly how they are treated in the US, I can understand why some people hate policemen. I'm not saying ALL policemen are like that, but if the law seriously treats them like they are above the law and better than Cop Jesus, OF COURSE you'll have people who abuse said power. Strip that power from them, kindly. Just cause you have a badge, don't make you immune!

C-A

1000% Knight

Finished 点と線. To be honest... I didn't really like it that much. I thought it was well-crafted, but...
Spoiler:
Solutions that are just seven people lying don't really appeal to me.

Next up is Kindaichi's オペラ座館・新たなる殺人. Partly for some lighter reading, and partly because I want to make sure I get through it before I read the third opera house murder. Not far enough to give an opinion, but... GRARGH, IN THE ORIGINAL BOOK THE PHANTOM DIDN'T KILL CARLOTTA BY DROPPING THE CHANDELIER ON HER. (In fact, Carlotta doesn't die at all.) I don't care if the murders don't follow the book exactly, but don't get the plot of the book wrong Dx

Just reading Hemingway's 'A Farewell To Arms' - but so far it is more like 'A Farewell To Legs.' (The main character almost gets his legs blown off in the first couple of chapters.)

Give it a read, folks. Hemingway's deceitfully simplistic style of writing draws you into a false sense of confidence and then goes "hang on! You didn't think about THIS!"

Good book.
Sig.

No, thanks. I've tried reading Hemingway and it was so boringly written, I'd rather go back and read Homo Faber. Which I consider the worst book I have read to date. It was so bad, I didn't even finish.

C-A

CatMuto wrote:
No, thanks. I've tried reading Hemingway and it was so boringly written, I'd rather go back and read Homo Faber. Which I consider the worst book I have read to date. It was so bad, I didn't even finish.

C-A

It appears that way, but that's just the man Hemingway was! He was obsessed with "the truth" and simplicity - as to why his prose doesn't appear to be very exciting; but he tells the world how he is. It is as dull as life is.

In the words of the great admiral Ackbar from the War of the Stars: IT'S A TRAP! :will:
Sig.

DefenceLawyer wrote:
It is as dull as life is.

I know he had mental issues, but this just proves even more that he didn't know life at all.
Life is anything but dull, it's freaking hilarious and weird at times.

Besides, his writing style is just... urgh. I hated Homo Faber because the guy had zero imagination. (The fact that he was an asshole, boring and slept with his daughter - unknowingly, courtesy of his asshole ex-girlfriend - was just another point against him) I cannot stand a writing style that is so boring to read, I fall asleep.

For instructions on machines or so, it works. But not in a story.
And I stand by it: life is fucking hilarious, weird and just crazy.
Not dull at all.

C-A

I'm trying to read Prison School. But something about the art style just puts me off.
Though I am reading that it gets better.

C-A

Beware of the Dog

Just finished "The Perks of Being a Wallflower", which I had to read for English lessons at school. I actually liked it, it seems to be a decent book.

I just finished The Confession by John Grisham.
I think the book absolutely suffered for me around the last... let's say third of the book. It's not badly written or anything, but I just saw no point in anything happening, since it wasn't going to make a difference.

Spoiler: The Confession - Spoiler
Donté is still executed for the crime he didn't commit.

Everything past that point is just... pointless. It won't make a lick of difference, except make some people feel emotionally better about something. In the long run, I highly doubt things will change or work out.

C-A

1000% Knight

Finished オペラ座館・新たなる殺人. I really liked it! It was everything I like about Kindaichi, just in novel form. It was also pretty cool how it was a sequel to the first Kindaichi case ever, and picked up some of the dangling references from that story. It would've been nice if they didn't get the Phantom story wrong again and say Carlotta was murdered, but... oh well.

Next up is 十角館の殺人. ...The original Japanese version (sorry Ash :oops: )

ASCEND

I finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I think it might be the best book that I've ever read.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

John Grisham's "Sycamore Row". It once again takes place in the south, in 1980 and it has racism around... I can't stand racism. I'm sorry, but I am the type of person who sees no POINT in racism (pretty sure it doesn't have one to begin with), so putting racism in just angers me because I wonder why these assholes think that way.

Anyway, right now, Simeon is Lettie's husband. And she is the beneficiary of getting 90% of a 24 million dollar worth estate from a will. And the law and upcoming trial is a will contest. So, Simeon just drove around drunk (not for the first time) and ended up crashing into a car with two high school kids in it. Both kids are dead. Oh, and they were white. And yet everyone acts like they will hate LETTIE for it.

Excuse me, but what is up with you, shit for brains? LETTIE has nothing to do with SIMEON's drunk-ass driving! She was not in the car! She was nowhere near! The only person to blame is Simeon, who drove the car, drunk and crashed into the kids. And nobody will like anyone with the name Lang, because of the Simeon association. BULLSHIT!! Having a name- especially when obtained through legal connections like Marriage - does NOT mean you do the same thing!

That's like saying if someone with my last name committed a school shooting, and yet it's MY fault. If that somehow makes logical sense to you, go away, cause that's just stupid.

C-A
Page 16 of 18 [ 690 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Wright & Co. Law Offices