Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps

Page 4 of 4[ 159 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Re: GS7 IdeasTopic%20Title

Happy Maria

Zero Escape in tone? But...Zero Escape also has tons of goofy characters and funny moments. It's actually very similar to AA in several ways.

The video game boy; the one who wins

I was thinking along the same lines, if the series is to continue, I would like a shake-up in the gameplay and/or story department. I think that is partly why I had hopes for AA6 despite being meh about DD; had it been "just another" AA-game I would have minded it more, but now they presented a new setting with new circumstances (not necessarily in the gameplay, but it still carried something different). A new setting, a new time, new characters, something to keep it from becoming formulaic, but without losing the AA-core (which is probably the main thing, especially when Takumi is out of the picture and the new developers want to keep it AA).
Mainly, take their time and only pull out something new if inspiration really, truly strikes.
Preferrably letting the main series lay where it is. Phoenix' arc felt finished a long time ago, Apollo's is now, Athena's could technically be but feels a bit unsatisfying in my opinion, as a lawyer and player character she's way underused (there wasn't exactly any place for her lawyering in AA6 other than that case, but in DD I feel she should've got to do more than lawyer one case and an introduction and then just fall back to be the new assistant goes defendant). So if they have to do another main series game, I'd rather see it be about her. Maybe one case with Apollo in Khura'in for good measure (with Klavier as a travelling prosecutor pretty please?).
Maybe an Investigations game with Ema, more focused on science stuff than drunk walking-and-talking?
Or just make a Mia Fey-game already.
But it's funny to see Zero escape mentioned because what I really was thinking about was... sci-fi-Attorney! Get prosecuted for a crime you will commit in the future. Or for a crime committed in another timeline/parallel universe. I'm only half-joking about this, I doubt it'll ever happen but it could be dope. Imagine Uchikoshi writing an Ace Attorney-game. (But using bootstrap paradoxes would be prohibited: we can't have evidence coming into existance on its own).
Spoiler: Ever17
And the player perspective would be the final case villain.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Racing through the sky like a Missile

In all honesty, sci-fi Ace Attorney would be dope. (We can have Robo-Phoenix, so the Ace Attorney lives forever! Hahaha...) But it'd probably take away from the core AA by jumping ahead to a time when you can scan someone's brain activity and judge the scene of the crime from that. That would make an interesting game mechanic with its own load of ethical issues to question, but I feel like with the introduction of Khura'in in SoJ, that concept of mechanic is pretty much covered. The seances are kinda like dream sequences taken as videos to be watched, but without the tech - yet fares better than the sci-fi alternative because it ties into the mysteries of spirit channeling that have always been taken for granted in this series. People jumping the gun on verdicts has always been a thing in this series, but to cop out and say technology covers it is kind of lazy writing imo. The best kinds of murders are those where the convenient plot devices are lampshaded or overturned or explored in ways that make them more than just plot devices.

I know the AA series has been no stranger to serious themes, but of all things it's covered, not once has it considered a situation where the rightfully convicted have been released to return to society. I'm not one of those who would expect or even want Godot back in the story (been there, done that), but it would be nice to see some reference to how he's faring, at least. Or has he already passed on by some strange twist of fate? Who knows.

I'm wary of nostalgia overload and the return of too many characters from the old cast, but dropping in nods or references here and there to suggest to the fans that they haven't been forgotten works just fine in a new setting with a brand new cast. Heck, I've seen pretty good in-character writing in things like Turnabout Quiz in GS5 and Phoenix's mystery quizzes on Gyakuten Tsuushin. They're short snippets of fluff dialogue without the plot, so they're much easier to write. We can have these kinds of snippets with references to the good ol' days in a main series game.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

Nah, there are laws against brainscanning. I mostly want the sick science-theories rather than the technology aspect. And robo Phoenix
Oh, Turnabout Quiz. I think the character interactions were really nice. Based on the translation by... well, you. :edgey:

"I'm so sick of Khura'in!"

I just want a blade runner esque dystopian future setting that is very noir where technological development has been declining for 30 years and all of the dreams and promises of a digital future, flying cars and automated systems in society has gone to shit. It has bred a spread of backdoor crime and people abusing automated technology for homicide that leaves zero fingerprints that directly tie any humans to murder and so the new protagonist is some genius who uses unconventional methods of deduction to go around the technical lack of evidence.

And of course I still need my Ace Attorney trilogy fan service in spades! It comes on a conveyor belt in 21XX Japanifornia as little AI pet robots that yell "Objection!" with Phoenix Wright voices and an explosion in popularity of a hallucinogenic drug called "Maya Fey: Spirit Medium" and it really makes people feel like they're channeling someone. Edgeworth has become a slang for people who are super edgy and do rough stuff in the slums and the average city wear looks like something Godot would wear.

Ace Attorney goes gritty... and seedy :simon:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney

More like "Edgeworth" is slang for someone who likes to wear outdated styles of clothing and drive red hot sports cars.

But as a hobbyist linguist, I have to admit that a jump into the far future would be brilliant as a new setting. Sure, we may be referencing memes from way back in the 2010s, but it's the laughs and the development of culture that count.

And while I don't think it has to be a dystopian society, it could have similar themes scattered throughout. Maybe keep the same colorful cast and quirks of classic AA, but introduce concepts that are more adult-oriented. Nothing is shown, but just about anything is inferred or implied.

And of course Phoenix and Edgeworth have their own statues. Their names become synonymous with "law" and the courts, among other things. It would be funny asking Robo Phoenix and Robo Edgeworth about themselves and then they go into long rants about the "good ol' days" like the great grandpas they'd be.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

I think they might be going towards that future already. It's supposed to be 2016 and forwards, but look at them phones :viola:

New headcanon: The year is 21xx, famous figures of the past have been reincarnated as android replicas, and Robo Phoenix is still using that Nokia phone from back in 2001.

I stumbled across a comment in an internet discussion that read "LOL @ petty lawyer beef". If there's an AA7, I now know what I want its title to be.

Ace Attorney Automata

I've felt worse.

linkenski wrote:
Ace Attorney Automata

"It's time to hear the voice of your heart!"
"Feelings are prohibited."
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

I think I already posted my opinion on this thread, but I can't stop pointing out how Takumi made the first trilogy consistent. The first three games were very "connected". He created a pattern basically, and was serious about following this pattern. You could see how he planned all the three games before executing them.

In the moment Ace Attorney lost this consistency and planning, it lost its attractiveness to me. It is just seems like a shallow franchise like any other now. Very inconsistent, superficial and unpredictable. Like it is so obvious they are just following a bizarre "let's try and see" method, using any random idea they come up with in the plot. I don't like this.

迷探偵

Thelema wrote:
I think I already posted my opinion on this thread, but I can't stop pointing out how Takumi made the first trilogy consistent. The first three games were very "connected". He created a pattern basically, and was serious about following this pattern. You could see how he planned all the three games before executing them.

In the moment Ace Attorney lost this consistency and planning, it lost its attractiveness to me. It is just seems like a shallow franchise like any other now. Very inconsistent, superficial and unpredictable. Like it is so obvious they are just following a bizarre "let's try and see" method, using any random idea they come up with in the plot. I don't like this.

Even before the first game was released, Takumi made it clear in his columns he does not really plan his games up in detail (or even vaguely in detail). In fact, he basically admits how much he improvised during the writing process, with most of the writing of each individual episode done during the development of each individual episode, with him working maybe one or two weeks ahead on the other people. Many of the "iconic" characteristics of the series (the interconnected short story collectoin structure for example) were only implemented later at the suggestion of other people in his team. This too holds for the second and third game, where he basically wrote the story alongside development, with him solidifying on ideas as he went and on the advice of others.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

I have to admit, I agree with Thelema on one point: the series is quite unpredictable and it shows. Granted, it's always been like that since the start to follow the formula of "let's try this and see where it goes", but in a way, it's a little unsettling that we really have no idea what to expect... aside from maybe this:

I previously suggested that GS7 may move toward Europe as a setting, and given our dearth of new info, that has not changed. My answer is solely based off of the general trend that AA has been taking with moving out of the home country, and from a one-off remark by Yamazaki and Fuse during the GS6 official artbook interview about wanting to try a country in Europe sometime. Yet, I keep changing my mind about whether I want Athena to take the reins or not. She's got protagonist potential, alright, but I don't see her becoming nearly as popular as Nick, Apollo, or Edgeworth. But they're also out of the question because they've served their roles long enough already (yes, even Apollo). So then who? Someone new, please.

And while we're at it, let's take things to a country that has been mentioned a few times already in the series, but never actually explored: Borginia. And since it's a fictitious country, let the writers have free reign what people and customs are there, like how SoJ has done with Khura'in. Heck, even if it was only mentioned in AAI, why not Cohdopia? Or maybe even Faux-France or Nicht-Germany, if nothing else? Japan has some strange fascination with those two countries, not sure why...

Atuyhan Ihdamdhas

A European-setting AA game doesn't seem like such a bad idea. And also, if it happens to be set in the UK, for the love of the Holy Mother, NO GODDAMN BREXIT REFERENCES!!!

All jokes aside, the series needs to expand more on how Athena and Phoenix met and how she was inspired to become a lawyer. I'm also getting the feeling that Phoenix's era is over and that it's Apollo and Athena's time to shine. Maybe if we have a tutorial case in Khura'in, we can have Apollo lead it alongside one of his potential protégés. And so the cross-examination tutorial would be the lead attorney explaining the procedure to his/her assistant.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I don't think Apollo is ready to have his own protege, but he has Ahlbi and Datz around as his new posse.

At first, I was hesitant to link Khura'in with another game, especially if it's supposed to be a fresh start after the previous "trilogy", but on second thought, it could be interesting to pull in more than two countries in one game. DGS2 has the London World Fair, where lots of different people from many countries have converged - though we only get a glimpse of them since the focus is on a particular incident there. If we could set the game in a country with more diversity, it'd be refreshing to see some new cultural designs for characters.

Oh, right. As an AA game, they'll have to fit Phoenix in there somehow. Ah, he can be the "Edgeworth" of the game and not show up until the last case. I guess Edgeworth can be the "Franziska of T&T" in this game and also not show up until the last case and be total plot device... or fanservice like he was in SoJ.

Surf's Up!

Talking about the series future, do you think it will stay on the 3DS, or will AA7 be on the Switch? I would want it to be on the 3DS, but I think it is likely to be a Switch game.

I know that making Apollo 22 as opposed to 24 in his first game was more of a "target audience" related move than anything, but technically speaking Apollo's "trilogy" has ended him being kinda where Nick was in PWAA (cuz he's 24) except so far the development has been rushed and haphazard and he kinda had a T&T-like development in SoJ. I think however, that setting him up in his own law firm as a destination reminds me more of Phoenix entering "Wright & Co. Law Offices" than it does him making the WAA and going in hiatus, so hopefully whoever takes over for AA7 can make more out of Apollo moving forward.

All that said, SoJ did feel like they were wrapping up Apollo to me, and while it opens up new opportunities it felt like closure to me and I could easily see AA7 be all about Phoenix and Athena instead or just one of them as the playable protagonists and I also felt like Khura'in was such a one-off thing.

Surf's Up!

linkenski wrote:
I also felt like Khura'in was such a one-off thing.

At the very least, we'll probably be seeing Nahyuta again, given the series tradition of the main prosecutor from the last game appearing in the next game for one case (which I'm not going to be looking forward to in the slightest).

Also, I guess we'll be seeing Winston Payne again, seeing as his brother is out of the picture.

I randomly came up with this idea while answering someone's ask on tumblr, but if we assume the whole adventure-in-Europe thing is going to happen, I propose something with a little more substance:

Set it in a new country, probably one with Italian, Greek, German, and other influences for a conglomerate "European" country, with a focus on the Mediterranean, not only to avoid picking favorites, but also to act as a culmination of the birthplaces of Western philosophies and ideals that build the foundation of modern law. There's quite a bit of source material to work with and plenty of thought-provoking questions to ask. It could work with giving Athena a bit more of the spotlight as well, even if Phoenix is the one to lead once again.

Besides, I don't think the team is bold enough to drop Apollo from the story. He said he was only going to stay in Khura'in for a while as things settled down; not for years on end. I take it as about the same period of time as when Maya said she was going away "for a while" in the first game.

Game set in a genuine foreign nation or historic era by team Yamazaki?
Yeesh... After Khura'in I'm getting weird images in my head of all these known places.

I personally feel like DGS2 didn't play much into the diversity of Europe, despite the World Fair set in London. There were characters of different ethnicities, but aside from a certain boy, the others seem like usual British citizens. This is a good chance to explore more cultures.

I doubt we'd ever get an explanation for why the Jurist System didn't pick up back home, but it would be interesting to see if it was inspired by something set in this hybrid country or if it's something quite different, even though there's a jury.

Little details like that. Its primary theme will be something like "evolution of law".

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think this could have been done in AA5 since that had the Dark Age of the Law. It was established in the trilogy that the trials are initial trials, and after the verdict the case goes to a higher court to decide the sentence. What if there is a case where after the first trial, Phoenix and co. go to the higher court? Perhaps they need to re-examine the case after new evidence comes up, or their client from the first trial gets accused again or something like that.

Happy Maria

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
I doubt we'd ever get an explanation for why the Jurist System didn't pick up back home, but it would be interesting to see if it was inspired by something set in this hybrid country or if it's something quite different, even though there's a jury.

I thought it was explained in AJ, though? The entire point of the Jurist System was that it was basically a ploy to catch Kristoph under the guise of testing out a new type of trial. It technically already served its purpose so shelving it doesn't exactly come across as a surprise to me.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

The games never tell us the fate of the Jurist System, though.

Happy Maria

That's what I'm saying. There's no real need to explain what happened to the Jurist System considering its purpose in the plot was finished. The fate of it is clear, too, considering the Judge still hands down the verdicts in DD and SoJ.

Surf's Up!

Southern Corn wrote:
I thought it was explained in AJ, though? The entire point of the Jurist System was that it was basically a ploy to catch Kristoph under the guise of testing out a new type of trial.

Introducing a new legal system just to catch one criminal (one that has already been convicted of murder, mind you) only to drop it immediately afterwards seems completely and utterly ridiculous.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I think that GS5 and GS6 are too bloated with dialogue. I prefer how fast-paced and simple the games of the PW Trilogy were, yet they were still emotionally satisfying (compare 1-4 with final cases such as 5-5). I'd like to see cases that are shorter and faster individually, and instead have the base game release with 6 or 7 cases.

I didn't notice the problem in SoJ as much past case 1 but DD definitely had too much dialogue in some parts, especially when pressings statements and between cross examinations.

I would like not just shorter cases but more messing with the formula in general, like all the cases in DGS. Or for the pacing of the overarching plot to be as good as in DGS2. Having a bunch of shorter cases would certainly be an interesting way to do that.
Signature loading, please wait...

Enoshima Junko-chan!

I like how Simon uses his manipulation tactics to provoke an emotional response from the witness for Athena to analyze. I’d like to see more of that, perhaps it being a theme of the case with Simon using it on the defendant.

Enoshima Junko-chan!

How about a culprit that scratches the inside of a gun’s barrel with a tool, changing the ballistic markings on any bullets found after firing it?

Yabba Dabba Doo

With AA7 (hopefully) being announced soon, I might as well throw out my ideas.

1. Don't add any new lawyers or assistants. Just stick with Phoenix, Athena, Trucy, and Maya (if she stays at WAA). I'd love to see more of Phoenix/Maya, and having Athena and Trucy together would be pretty fun. Or, maybe we see Athena and Maya interact for the first time, and Phoenix gets some Father-Daughter time with Trucy.

2. Bring back an old detective. At this point, it's too difficult for them to reintroduce a new detective into the franchise. With most of the relationships already developed in the core cast, trying to insert a brand new main character would feel off. I'd prefer to see Gumshoe return, but I'd be happy if they just kept Ema.

3. Have a unique prosecutor arc. I'd love to see them step away from the same old "Prosecutor starts out cold, warms up as time goes on" trick, especially after Edgeworth 2 Nahyuta. Klavier was such a breath of fresh air with how his arc functioned, and I'd like to see some more creativity in that department.

4. Hopefully we return to a more grounded arc. While the over the top arcs of AAI, DD, and SOJ had their moments, they also really struggled to develop their characters. On the other hand, the original trilogy, AAI2, and to some extent AJ really focused more on the core cast itself. Given that some of these characters desperately need more attention (Athena, Trucy) I'd love for them to have a more personal final case, rather than a more traditionally "epic" one.

5. Gumshoe would work for this, but it's always fun to see characters from the original trilogy return. Having Edgeworth and Pearl back in DD was awesome, and Maya's return, while bungled, was still cool in concept. Bonus points if someone from AAI (cough cough Kay) is introduced into the main franchise. Similar to this...

6. Give Pearl a better role this time please. Pearl is, like, the greatest thing ever, and she deserves more. If they made her another assistant, then I wouldn't care that it'd make the cast even more bloated. Pearl is the exception. Fuck it, just make Pearl the prosecutor. Anything. We just need more Pearl.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Updated prediction for AA7: It never happens, and instead we just get ports of everything.

Happy Maria

Updated prediction: AA7 is actually just a port of AA1-6.

Haven't played Dual Destinies OR Spirit of Justice yet, but I can say that I did get a little spoiled. All I'll say is I think AA 1-3 is Phoenix's trilogy, while AA 4-6 is Apollo's trilogy.

Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney is, in my opinion, the next step for the franchise. Then AA 7-9 can be the Athena trilogy! (Should introduce a new attorney for the next potential step after Athena.)

They should do a case involving Berry Big Circus. Trucy has never interacted with them, and she ought to be a rival to Max Galactica.

Maybe game 7 should have a three part structure. Blue Chapter would be about Phoenix and Athena. Red Chapter would be about Apollo. And Yellow Chapter would be the finale, in which the two storylines converge. That could be where Apollo and Trucy finally find out that they're siblings.

What about having Kay Faraday return... as a new prosecutor. She'll have been trained by Edgeworth and would be following in her father's footsteps. Little Thief could even be used in court for crime scene recreations! Of course, like Klavier Gavin, she wouldn't be antagonistic, instead just searching for the truth like Edgeworth does. Franziska would return as the prosecutor on Apollo's side of the story. Both Gumshoe and Ema would return as the detectives.

Back in it, hopefully for the better

Maybe it's just cause I joined back in a lull in the series, and so much has happened in my life these last few years that it feels like it's been an eternity since 2016 when SoJ hit the scene (I mean hell, there ain't even a spoiler policy anymore, I think), but I'm doubting another main series game in the near future. Though, it seems at least we've exhausted all the games that can be ported to contemporary platforms minus AA1. DD and SoJ were on 3DS, AJ got a 3DS port, og trilogy got both a 3DS port plus a port to other non-Nintendo consoles.

This being said, ideas for what I'd want in GS7? Some way of utilizing Athena more then she has been in SoJ as both a character and a playable character, keep Apollo's backstory straight for two consecutive games, wrapping up some loose ends from AJ.

eyyyy

My hope for AA7 if it ever does happen is that Trucy and Apollo find out that they are siblings, and tie up their backstories once and for all. I too also hope that AA7 has a bigger focus on Athena. DD was the WAA game which pretty much focused on three of them, SOJ was definitely Apollo’s game so now Athena is long overdue for a story of her own.

But at the same time I would also like to see Apollo’s adventures in Khura’in and watch the growth of his new law offices. SOJ definitely left off in a way that made this seem the direction AA7 will go in.

What's a Court Records?

Cosmikun wrote:
My hope for AA7 if it ever does happen is that Trucy and Apollo find out that they are siblings, and tie up their backstories once and for all. I too also hope that AA7 has a bigger focus on Athena. DD was the WAA game which pretty much focused on three of them, SOJ was definitely Apollo’s game so now Athena is long overdue for a story of her own.

But at the same time I would also like to see Apollo’s adventures in Khura’in and watch the growth of his new law offices. SOJ definitely left off in a way that made this seem the direction AA7 will go in.

Spoiler: Spirit Of Justice Epilogue
We already know that Apollo and Trucy find out, we just haven't gotten to see how they'd react to this information. This was implied at the end of the game when Phoenix was talking to Lamiroir, even though she didn't appear on screen.

Knowing how Capcom's been with Ace Attorney, they'll most likely go with Phoenix again, but it really would be nice to get another TRUE Apollo game or just have one focus on Athena instead. I've said it before but I highly believe that AA7 will be another "Phoenix Wright" game and will follow him and Athena in Japanifornia and then they'll shoehorn Khura'in into the last case. I know it's been said that Spirit Of Justice ended the way it did so they could pick up where the story left off from either country, but honestly I saw the ending as an excuse to bring back divination séances in future games. Honestly, I can't say I'm expecting AA7 to do much for the series and I highly doubt it will explain everything from the "Apollo Trilogy". In fact, rather than explaining anything we've been wanting to know about, they're more likely to drop more facts about Apollo nobody asked for (not that I have a problem with his SoJ backstory). This isn't really what I want for the series, it's just what I believe is going to happen. I'd love to be proven wrong when AA7 actually does come out.
Why am I even here?

YouTube Twitter Tumblr Steam Discord
Page 4 of 4 [ 159 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Courthouse Steps