Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 3[ 112 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Nonary Game 7 Signups (Closed. Subs can still join)Topic%20Title

Spoiler: Synopsis
9 apparent strangers find themselves kidnapped and forced to compete with each other for their survival.

Spoiler: Teaser Words
null
-Z
ghost
multivariable system
zero sum game
election

Over 3 years later, the time has come. But keep in mind that anything I mentioned in that thread isn’t necessarily true for this game.

This is going to be a very heavy story-based game, with the main form of gameplay being the decisions you make during it. It’s much more like a Telltale game (with actual impactful choices) than the other NGs before this. Additionally, this game is completely standalone and has absolutely no connection to the other ones. I don’t even think there’s an easter egg or passing reference but we’ll see.

Knowledge of the Zero Escape series may help your appreciation of the game but isn’t necessary.

Anyway, I’ll cut to the big part since a lot of this post will need to talk about it anyway. I wanted to make this a twist but I figured people should probably know before deciding to signup: this game will feature multiple timelines. Think of it kind of like a CYOA where you can see some other branches. This format is mostly chosen out of necessity since most of the characters have very distinct and important information for the story. I also think it’ll be nice to get to see multiple sides of some characters in different scenarios.

I’m going to be trying to keep the flowchart simple. Here’s my idea of it, it can be remedied if it looks too intense. The way it plays out is you make your decisions like normal and you’ll get to see the opposite outcomes to a few of the big ones. Main idea is if you’ve played Zero Escape or like these kind of CYOA games, you’ll probably enjoy it and won’t find it confusing...probably. If it sounds too overwhelming/confusing, all I can say is I’ll try my best to not make it that way but obviously can’t guarantee.

Other Things You Should Know In Advance:
-Despite multiple timelines, the game will be about the same length as the others. I wouldn’t be surprised if it did end up longer but the timeline lengths range from brief to not that long.
-There are no codenames. However, I decided that everyone will get to choose their character’s name. There are no real rules on the names. You can pick a crazy one like Quark, a Greek letter, a badass one like Tenmyouji, or a completely regular one like Eric. All I’m hoping for is some variety and that everybody doesn’t pick the same kind of name, but just pick a name that fits. I do want to say ‘don’t pick an AA-esque pun name’, but I won’t strictly exclude it. But I will strongly encourage...something else?
-Objectionable content warning: This game features characters who die brutally. Some even die brutally several times. There is a child character in this game. Considering it would be lame to have this child constantly go missing every timeline, this child can also die brutally...several times. All about equal opportunity, y'know? I doubt this warning was actually needed and I'm not going to do anything that's dark and depraved for the sake of it. So I doubt I actually needed to reveal that detail but in case child murder bothers some people, now you know.
-A lot of the game is going to be written as it goes on even though I know there are certain roadblocks that need to be hit. This is because of a lot of the decision-making by players will dictate how the story maneuvers next.
-I won’t promise literally every action your character commits will be a direct decision by you, but they’ll always act in character.
-Some timelines you’ll get screwed over. Some timelines you’ll get to screw people over. I’ll try to balance all the screwing equally among everyone but it won’t be perfect.

Spoiler: Q&A
"Why are there no codenames?"
It's pointless for this game, and I feel the characters will be more personable addressed by their real names anyway. You can give your character an unusual name that you would've had for a codename if you want.

Also let’s be real there’s so few codenames you can reasonably make from a bunch of numbers and 999 took most of the best ones.

"Hmph fine. What about win conditions?"
There are no win conditions either.

"How will I know what to do then?"
Your character's personality, backstory, and motives will be very clear. I don't think it'll be a problem.

"How do I win then?"
...you don't. You just play the game. Make your decisions so you can shape your character in an interesting way. Hopefully you won't care if you die early in one timeline, or make a bad decision in another. The point is to recognize that your character is interesting, and is creating interesting scenarios. By the end of the game you should feel like this character is your own and has either been fleshed out or gone through a satisfying arc.

"Yeah but I wanna win."
Did you read any of...nevermind.

"What ZE game is this most similar to?"
Zero Time Dilem--hey where are you going?

“Isn’t this plot point of the game eerily similar to this [game/tv show/book/movie]?”
Yes.

"I'm still a little confused on how timelines will work in thread. So say, something lame like a coin getting flipped happens and your character's life depends on what they guess the coin lands on. So if it lands on heads, will the heads timeline play out entirely first, after which they come back to the tails timeline? Or will they be shown side by side or something?"

Heads timeline plays out entirely and then the players either meta-choose to go to the tails timeline or do an entirely different route before going to the tails timeline.

However, for most of the decisions in this game, you’ll only see one outcome. The above example was assuming the coin toss would cause a branch in the flowchart.

"Do characters retain memories between timelines? Will players need to RP as though they never saw the other branch when returning to a major decision point?"

The current plan is that players will have to RP as if they never saw the other branch.

However, there is a bit of a plot device I can throw in to have characters remember some things. I'd rather not do this unless I/you guys feel it's needed.

Here’s the new obligatory NEO-MAMA.

Spoiler: NEO-MAMA
1. Don’t be inactive.
2. If you have to be inactive, tell the GM.
3. Don’t be an asshole.
4. Don’t use meta needs of communicating private information like screenshots, PMs, and crap. Be sportsmanlike. It should be very clear what the spirit of these games are and there’s no point to ruining things like that. This is the biggest and broadest rule but I really do feel it could’ve been the only one to.
5. Don’t be spiteful if you get a bad character, or something bad happens to your character. Don’t try to ruin things for other people. Be mindful that this is a mystery game and while you may know the answer to some of the twists, sometimes it’s best to hold onto things.
6. Spoiler alert but there are bad people in this game who will do and say bad things to characters, possibly yours. So don’t be spiteful to players either.
7. Don’t be inactive.

And finally, not gonna make this a rule or anything, but I expect more than 9 people will sign up for the game. I won’t say ‘don’t be upset if you don’t get into the game’ but just keep in mind it’s not a decision I like to make either, and it’s a possibility that’s reasonable to prepare for. Don’t let any of that deter you from signing up though.

Extra signup/game notes:
1. Fill out this survey: you can just answer the required questions and leave the rest blank, I’ll just interpret that as you being fine with playing literally any character. Answer the survey honestly because nothing in it will affect whether or not you get in the game, it’s just to help assign characters for those who do get in.

2. When filling out the survey, if you do have character preferences, don’t just gun for one type of character. Make sure to mention all characters/character types you’d be capable of roleplaying or that you’d have fun roleplaying. Doesn’t matter.

Main point is, don’t just say “I’m gonna be the child character” or something. It’s ok to explicitly mention that they are your top preference but don’t make that the only thing or you’re gonna have a bad time. Same with writing “I want to be the villain.” You don’t even know if there is a villain :yogi:

What’s most helpful will be knowing the kind of characters you’d rather not play. Not promising anything but I do think I can make people pretty happy in that regard.

3. When you get your role PM, your character will have a default name. This was just so I could write the role PMs in advance but please feel free to change the names. I only really like two of them (which I’m also fine with changing) and the rest are all arbitrary because I figured they wouldn’t last anyway. If you love your default name you can still feel free to use it.

Your role PM might also feature other characters in the game, who will also be referred to by their default name. You’ll be informed of their new name when the game starts, just keep this in mind for when you get your role PM.

3. Because this game has multiple timelines, every player has to be in the game pretty much from beginning to end. There will be lapses where you’re dead and don’t have to participate (you’re still expected to follow the game during these) but I can’t simply kill off your character if you find yourself unable to participate anymore.

Because of that, substitutes will be very important for this game. If a player participates in 80% of the game and can’t go for the last 20%, a substitute will step in. It might be a bit awkward but there’s not really a better solution.

4. The game will come out...soon? My plan was to have like 3 or 4 days for signups, and then send the role PMs. This could be like a week before the game starts which is enough time for me to gather everyone’s names and write some of the beginning posts. The start date isn’t strict or anything though, if it poses problems you guys can discuss it in an open forum.

Spoiler: Players
1. Cesar
2. Pierre
3. Blinky
4. Panda
5. Franzise
6. Mecha
7. SC
8. Bad Player
9. Planetbox

Last edited by JesusMonroe on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 am, edited 12 times in total.
Re: Nonary Game 7 SignupsTopic%20Title

I've felt worse.

In. NEO-MAMA. I'll try to be more active this time.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

In Neo-mama, not read the stuff yet but I'm worried slots fill up fast.

Edit: Now I've had a chance to read I'm very excited with some of the things here.

Seeing it be freed from the shackles of history with the other Nonary games is a good thing. Happy to see codenames aren't being enforced either. Eager to see how else this will run.

I know the pain of wanting to hide a twist at the start of the game though. When I ran my dual-game, the other one got found out early on so couldn't bring in that twist later on and just announced it in advance. I promise to act surprised!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Last edited by Pierre on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signups aren’t first come, first served so you’re good regardless :p

Happy Maria

/MAMA
The survey has been sent.

This is a very interesting sounding game nevertheless. Looking forward to being in it.

Gettin' Old!

JesusMonroe wrote:
Signups aren’t first come, first served so you’re good regardless :p

Ah well, survey sent.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Happy Maria

So, like, quick question. I get how the multiple timeline thing works, but I'm still a little confused on his it'll work in thread. So say, something lame like a coin getting flipped happens and your character's life depends on what they guess the coin lands on. So if it lands on heads, will the heads timeline play out entirely first, after which they come back to the tails timeline? Or will they be shown side by side or something?

I pledge the NEO-MAMA.

Definitely looks like a cool setup for this game! I hope I'll get to be a part of it!

Outn't/ New Mom/ survey sent. I'm excited for this.
Signature loading, please wait...

Southern Corn wrote:
So, like, quick question. I get how the multiple timeline thing works, but I'm still a little confused on his it'll work in thread. So say, something lame like a coin getting flipped happens and your character's life depends on what they guess the coin lands on. So if it lands on heads, will the heads timeline play out entirely first, after which they come back to the tails timeline? Or will they be shown side by side or something?

Heads timeline plays out entirely and then the players either meta-choose to go to the tails timeline or do an entirely different route before going to the tails timeline.

However, for most of the decisions in this game, you’ll only see one outcome. The above example was assuming the coin toss would cause a branch in the flowchart.

1000% Knight

/new mom
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Sock

Pledging to that MAMA.
Won't screw up like I did with NG6. Know what I'm getting into this time. Seems like it'll be fun to watch regardless though.
Survey also sent.

I pledge to the MAMA and sent my survey.

hi

Pledge to NEO-MAMA. Already sent in my survey.
Looks like it'll be fun. I'm excited.

No other way than to make this mistake.

Pledge to the Neo-MAMA and I've sent the survey.

we wuz timelines n shit

Gettin' Old!

By the way can anyone see the Teaser words?

Just looks blank to me.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I'm gonna start filling them in once a day when the cast is chosen.

ASCEND

Alrightio I've signed in, I've sent my survey, and I DO NOT agree to the NEO-MAMA

Yeah you've read that right. I think the NEO-MAMA is an anachronism, a pointless remnant from the time when people could blow up the entire thread and get off with nothing more than light admonishment. Well, no more! This NEO-MAMA is little more than a set of rules anyway, most of which are obvious to anyone with a shred of common sense. Why do I have to agree with it?

In fact, I'd like to propose something else instead. I'm creating a new group: the Federation of Users Committed to Koolness (a.k.a. the F.U.C.K.), which can override the NEO-MAMA if it gets at least nine members. To join the F.U.C.K. you must do three things. First, provide evidence that you have received at least nine Good Boy Points from old rps (no, "the rp" doesn't count). Second, you must publically renounce NG1 and NG2 from the C-R canon. Finally, you must film yourself pouring scalding-hot escargot down your trousers and post the video here.

With all that said, I will take a page from Wilson's book and not join the F.U.C.K., but I encourage others to do so. Until then, I agree to the NEO-MAMA, because I'm not really in the mood to get kicked out rn
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

Well this seems hecka interesting! I'm totally down for the format.

Something that I'm not sure was answered, do characters retain memories between timelines? Will players need to RP as though they never saw the other branch when returning to a major decision point?

Either way, I'm in! I agree to all of the first 6 points of the Neo-MAMA, and will fill out the survey in just a bit.

KamiPanda wrote:
Something that I'm not sure was answered, do characters retain memories between timelines? Will players need to RP as though they never saw the other branch when returning to a major decision point?

The current plan is that players will have to RP as if they never saw the other branch.

However, there is a bit of a plot device I can throw in to have characters remember some things. I'd rather not do this unless I/you guys feel it's needed.

Happy Maria

KamiPanda wrote:
Well this seems hecka interesting! I'm totally down for the format.

Either way, I'm in! I agree to all of the first 6 points of the Neo-MAMA, and will fill out the survey in just a bit.

While I'm not JM, I think there's a question on the survey that implies exactly that players will have to pretend they didn't see the other branch at all. Which to me is quite tricky and it might not work, but at the very least the lack of win conditions balances it out nicely.

(Oops JM beat me to it but whatever, you get the gist of my post at least, right?)

Oh and to JM, is disclosing what this plot device is possible for you to elaborate on?

JesusMonroe wrote:
KamiPanda wrote:

To add onto this point, the current plan is to use a comprehensive google doc (like the F games) that the players can use to keep track of what happens in which timeline. Additionally, any time a timeline ends and the players have to jump to another, the jump won't happen until all players meta-confirm that they're ready and know what timeline they're about to enter.

Happy Maria

Quote:
To add onto this point, the current plan is to use a comprehensive google doc (like the F games) that the players can use to keep track of what happens in which timeline. Additionally, any time a timeline ends and the players have to jump to another, the jump won't happen until all players meta-confirm that they're ready and know what timeline they're about to enter.

Yeah, sounds fair to me, though I'm not sure how it would be seen as in universe. A potential problem would be that some players would take longer to respond than others but I think it's all for the best if it prevents any further confusion on their side.

Seems interesting, I'm in. I've started playing 999 and I've become pretty interested with the whole NG concept.

Edit because I forgot to mention: I also pledge to the Neo-MAMA.

Last edited by TheLetterF on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000% Knight

Planetbox wrote:
Finally, you must film yourself pouring scalding-hot escargot down your trousers and post the video here.

If I already have a video of that can I re-use it, or do I need to do it again?
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Gettin' Old!

Planetbox wrote:
Alrightio I've signed in, I've sent my survey, and I DO NOT agree to the NEO-MAMA

Yeah you've read that right. I think the NEO-MAMA is an anachronism, a pointless remnant from the time when people could blow up the entire thread and get off with nothing more than light admonishment. Well, no more! This NEO-MAMA is little more than a set of rules anyway, most of which are obvious to anyone with a shred of common sense. Why do I have to agree with it?

In fact, I'd like to propose something else instead. I'm creating a new group: the Federation of Users Committed to Koolness (a.k.a. the F.U.C.K.), which can override the NEO-MAMA if it gets at least nine members. To join the F.U.C.K. you must do three things. First, provide evidence that you have received at least nine Good Boy Points from old rps (no, "the rp" doesn't count). Second, you must publically renounce NG1 and NG2 from the C-R canon. Finally, you must film yourself pouring scalding-hot escargot down your trousers and post the video here.

With all that said, I will take a page from Wilson's book and not join the F.U.C.K., but I encourage others to do so. Until then, I agree to the NEO-MAMA, because I'm not really in the mood to get kicked out rn

Hoho too late, Mama don't like bad boys who disagree with her *cracks knuckles* Sounds like somebody needs to go to the naughty corner.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Planetbox wrote:
Second, you must publically renounce NG1 and NG2 from the C-R canon.

Can everyone please do this part even without doing the other stuff.

I've felt worse.

There's a canon to these games? I thought we were taking the Final Fantasy approach to canon.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Cesar Zero wrote:
Planetbox wrote:

But then we’d be in a timeline without NG1+2 memes. Is it worth the sacrifice? Are you saying that’s worthless?

sumguy28 wrote:
There's a canon to these games? I thought we were taking the Final Fantasy approach to canon.

Well NG1-4 all definitely took place in the same "canon" but even that involved multiple timelines so I don't think it matters much since the multiple universes can always be used as an excuse, and as JM said this is going to be a completely separate story anyway.

JesusMonroe wrote:
Cesar Zero wrote:
Planetbox wrote:

But then we’d be in a timeline without NG1+2 memes. Is it worth the sacrifice? Are you saying that’s worthless?

Spoiler: VLR spoilers kind of
So you're taking Tenmyouji's approach with his story about the bikers and saying avoiding such a big disaster isn't worth missing out on the memes huh.

ASCEND

Bad Player wrote:
Planetbox wrote:
Finally, you must film yourself pouring scalding-hot escargot down your trousers and post the video here.

If I already have a video of that can I re-use it, or do I need to do it again?

That all depends. If it was filmed before the release date of the original High School Musical, it is inadmissible, I'm afraid.

Pierre wrote:
Hoho too late, Mama don't like bad boys who disagree with her *cracks knuckles* Sounds like somebody needs to go to the naughty corner.

Uh oh, guys, looks this is it for me. Oh whale it was fun while it lasted. Tell my older brother that he's fa- dies
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Happy Maria

Cesar Zero wrote:
sumguy28 wrote:

Well NG1-4 all definitely took place in the same "canon" but even that involved multiple timelines so I don't think it matters much since the multiple universes can always be used as an excuse, and as JM said this is going to be a completely separate story anyway.

So did NG5 and 6, actually. It's not ever mentioned whether they take place in the CRNG4 or GameFAQsNG4 universe but they do continue from there.

Of course, I'm fine with there being a completely different universe where Sergei Cunningham tripped on a snail and broke his neck when he was 10 and Daniel, Jamie and Claudia all died in an unrelated plane crash. Allows for more freedom.

NG1 is still an amazing game though and I'm not renouncing that ever.

Just another day.

Pledge to the Neo-MAMA and I've sent the survey.
been quite awhile since ive been on cr, game looks like could be fun. :v

Something something NEO-MAMA is my new lord and savior something. I'm interested to see how the branching/alternate timelines work out-- it's such an ingrained concept in the ZE series that hasn't really been attempted within our forum NGs.

I won't be able to play this one unfortunately - gotta start getting serious about wedding planning. But I'll be following along :)

Happy Maria

Wow, that’s a lot of sign ups. 15 people- almost enough for a DRF game! Sorry you won’t be able to join by the way SiRReN but good luck with your marriage!

Still, I’m a little impressed by the huge number. That’ll be about 6 substitutes, huh. I almost think we should end the sign ups here just because if we have too many then we’ll get a majority of people not being able to participate. But still, even with what we have now I’m not currently sure if I’ll even make it in. Lots of strong players this time.

Happy Maria

Yes yes double post I know execute me or whatever but I have another question that hasn't really been asked yet. I recall when asked about the room phases, JM, you were unsure whether you were even going to include them at first. Of course, now that they've been confirmed, how will those work? Will they be similar to the ones in 4-6 or in 3? Will they have any actions present in them as well? Moreover, will there be any flowchart splitting decisions made in these rooms? In which case, how will those work? Furthermore, since multiple timelines do exist now, will puzzle rooms have to be redone and reattempted with a potentially different group of people again? Or in which case, is there some arbitrary imposition like 'every player should go into each individual room throughout the game' type of thing?

If you wish to refrain on elaborating on some of these though, that's fine with me.

Good luck with your wedding, SiRReN. And nice to see you again, Cold :p

I'll set the deadline to 24 hours from now so there's some reasonable caution for it. After that point you can still sign up but only as a substitute.

Southern Corn wrote:
Yes yes double post I know execute me or whatever but I have another question that hasn't really been asked yet. I recall when asked about the room phases, JM, you were unsure whether you were even going to include them at first. Of course, now that they've been confirmed, how will those work? Will they be similar to the ones in 4-6 or in 3? Will they have any actions present in them as well? Moreover, will there be any flowchart splitting decisions made in these rooms? In which case, how will those work? Furthermore, since multiple timelines do exist now, will puzzle rooms have to be redone and reattempted with a potentially different group of people again? Or in which case, is there some arbitrary imposition like 'every player should go into each individual room throughout the game' type of thing?

If you wish to refrain on elaborating on some of these though, that's fine with me.

All I'll say for this is that there aren't any actions planned. You'll either get a decision or have to ask me if you want to do a particular thing, and if it's reasonable you probably will be able to. Also people won't explore the same rooms twice.
Re: Nonary Game 7 Signups (~24 hours remaining)Topic%20Title

Also this is a minor point but the amount of work I have on a given day is highly variable. Some days I'll be very busy and won't really be able to monitor things but others I'll have next to nothing and can be pretty attentive. I'm hoping things mostly run themselves after the first phase but I do expect the pace to be fitful.
Re: Nonary Game 7 Signups (~24 hours remaining)Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

Easily something I'll be able to sympathise with. It's a hard task GMing with work, but I think with variable days like that it'll be alright?
Page 1 of 3 [ 112 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus