Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 1[ 32 posts ]

Belinda Phosphor: Ace Attorney -- The Pharaoh's TurnaboutTopic%20Title

I will return...

Welcome to Belinda Phosphor: Ace Attorney, Case 1: The Pharaoh’s Turnabout, which is a CYOA (or Choose Your Own Adventure) which is based almost wholly on Ace Attorney. This story stars Adrien Sandoval-Castle, a lawyer-in-training, and Belinda Phosphor, an experienced defense attorney. Adrien is who you ‘play as’, so your options are from their perspective. (Adrien uses they/them pronouns.)

The CYOA generally follows the rules of the games. In this case, there is only one trial section, so don’t worry about investigating! There are the classic options, like Pressing and Presenting, but also a new one! It’s called Common Knowledge and it’s Adrien’s lawyer superpower. If a statement seems fishy and you don’t have the evidence for it, use Common Knowledge on it and you’ll be given three options of what it contradicts. If none of them work, then you’ve probably picked the wrong statement. (This will also be covered in the game itself, as it is the first case of the first game.)

All the evidence you need for these sections (and profiles of witnesses and other important characters) is stored in the first post of each case.

You also have a confidence bar that can be reduced by presenting the wrong evidence. Be careful, this game isn’t going to be easy!

The inspiration for this comes from Vesti and Lauren’s Interdimensional Investigations and planetbox! Thanks for making something so cool and giving me permission to do something similar!

There’s a prologue for this on The Phosphorous Files. It takes place 9 days before this. It’s not necessary reading, but I think it’s good.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32901

Evidence:
Spoiler:
Replica Attorney’s Badge
Type: Other
Given to me by Miss Belinda
My attorney’s badge! It’s only a replica, but it somehow fools everyone.

Sarcophagus Photo/Description
Type: Documents
Submitted to the court by Miss Cleese
A description and a photo of The sarcophagus. Check for details.

Museum Security Footage
Type: Documents
Submitted to the court by Miss Cleese
The security footage from the night of the case. Check for details.

Profiles:
Spoiler:
Belinda Phosphor
A defense attorney and my employer/mentor. We’re surprisingly close.

Doug Nhut
A security guard at the Legion of Honor and defendant in this case.

Hera Cleese
A boastful prosecutor. She seems overly smug.

Star Nolan
The curator for the Legion of Honor. A chronically shy and introverted erson.

Last edited by PhosphorousLaw on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Belinda Phosphor: Ace Attorney -- The Pharaoh's TurnabouTopic%20Title

I will return...

???
???
???

The lightning flashed, illuminating the sarcophagus. “I have you now, King Narmer…” said a figure. There was a long stretch of darkness. When the lightning flashed again, the sarcophagus was gone.

September 15, 9:45 AM
Courthouse
Defendant Lobby No. 2

Adrien is pretending not to be nervous. It really isn’t working. They’re fidgeting with their pins, including their replica attorney’s badge. They have three pins attached to their red and orange striped polo, one that says ‘Reply loading…’, one that explains ‘My pronouns are They/Them/Theirs’, and one that looks exactly like a real attorney’s badge.

“Are you okay, Addie?” says Belinda, their mentor, her angular features in a half-frown of concern.

“Maybe?” answers Adrien, still fidgeting. They adjust their yellow newsboy cap over their vibrant red hair then continue fiddling with their pins.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be right behind you the whole time. This isn’t even a murder trial. Relax.” Belinda smiles at Adrien, an encouraging smile.

“Just because it’s not a murder trial doesn’t mean I should relax,” Adrien huffs, hands on their hips. “Relaxing would hurt my client.”

Belinda waves a manicured hand. “It’s an open and shut case, of course, Mr. Nhut didn’t steal the sarcophagus.”

“I believe that and you believe that, but can we prove it?” Adrien’s fingers start fiddling with the belt loops of their khakis.

“Of course we can, Addie!” Belinda beams and claps Adrien on the back, causing them to stumble forward.

“Please enter the courtroom. The trial is about to begin,” says a bailiff.

The two go into the courtroom.

September 15, 10:00 AM
Courthouse
Courtroom No. 3

The judge bangs his gavel to quiet the gallery. “Court is now in session for the trial of Doug Nhut for the theft of the sarcophagus of King Narmer from the Legion of Honor of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Is the prosecution prepared?”

“Prepared as always, your honor,” replies Prosecutor Hera Cleese smugly. She shakes her head, allowing her brown Grecian curls to fall in front of her shoulders.

“And the defense?”

“The defense is ready, your honor,” says Belinda while Adrien scrambles with the Court Record. Belinda nods at Hera, showing respect for her protégé’s opponent.

The judge looks surprised that once Adrien finishes looking through all of the evidence they have (which is ridiculously little), they step up to the main attorney position. “You are not leading the defense this time, Miss Phosphor?”

Belinda shakes her head. “This is Adrien Sandoval-Castle, they used to be my aide, but now I believe they have shown the capability to be a real lawyer.”

The judge looks closer at Adrien, adjusting his glasses. “I see she already has her attorney’s badge. Very well then. Are you prepared, Ms. Sandoval-Castle?”

Adrien flinches at being labeled female, but storms on. “I am prepared, your honor.”

“My apologies, Mr. Sandoval-Castle.” The judge corrects himself after noticing how deep Adrien’s voice is.

(That’s not right either but I guess I can handle it.) thinks Adrien, though with a frown on their face.

“Moving on. Will you give your opening statement, Ms. Cleese?”

“Of course.” Hera smiles arrogantly and begins, “The sarcophagus was first reported missing yesterday by Ms. Star Nolan, the museum’s curator. I have here a photograph and a description.”

Sarcophagus Photo/Description added to the Court Record.

“I also have here the security footage of the night. Note that the sarcophagus is gone at the same time Mr. Nhut is.”

Museum Security Footage added to the Court Record.

“The sarcophagus is yet to be found, but the police are currently searching
Mr. Nhut’s residence. Mr. Nhut is the only suspect, and thus the correct one. Your mentor gave you an unwinnable case, Sandoval-Castle.” Hera nods, showing she is finished.

(We’ll see about that!) thinks Adrien in response. They clench their hands at their sides, ready to give Hera a fight.

“For the first and only witness, the prosecution calls Ms. Star Nolan to the stand.” Hera continues to be smug, crossing her arms and smirking.

“You remember how to cross-examine a witness, right?” asks Belinda, touching Adrien lightly on the shoulder.

Choices:
- Yes, I remember.
- No, my mind’s gone blank!

Other options:
Court Record -> Check [Evidence]

ASCEND

I feel like we should probably check that evidence but this is probably a bad time, considering Belinda just asked us a question. It'd be downright rude to just leave her hanging like that.

Anyway, I figure we can head on to the cross-examination assuming the Common Knowledge thing is explained later
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

I somehow always ended up not keeping up with PB's cyoa then being too lazy to catch up so let's see here.

The reasonable choice was already made so let's just check the sarchophagus photo/description and hope Adrien does that before answering since I like being rude.
Signature loading, please wait...

Shy guy

Checking the evidence is always what I do mid-conversation in the main games. Therefore it's a sign of being a great lawyer. Therefore it's the correct option! Belinda will understand I'm sure.

I will return...

Quote:
Cesar_Zero said: Check Sarcophagus Photo/Description
Planetbox said: Yes, I remember.

Adrien pulls out the Court Record and checks the Sarcophagus Photo/Description. Belinda looks confused, squinting at her protege.

Sarcophagus Photo/Description
Quote:
Page 1: [Photo]
Page 2:
- Made mostly of gold and decayed iron
- Inlaid with rubies for eyes
- Decorated with lapis lazuli
- Ceremonial beard has been broken off by grave robbers

"Adrien? Are you going to answer me?" Belinda puts her hands on her hips, a bit peeved.

"Sorry, Miss Belinda, I needed to prepare." Adrien puts the Court Record away. "But yes, I remember."

"Good." Belinda smiles, rudeness quickly forgotten.

Star Nolan takes the stand. She's blonde, with horn-rimmed spectacles and soft features. She's wearing a pinstripe suit and looks as if she's about to cower in fear.

"Witness, state your name and occupation for the court." The Judge smiles at Star, trying to ease her obvious nerves.

"…" Star covers her face with a book.

"Witness?"

She mumbles something inaudible.

"Witness, please oblige us. We won't bite." Hera also smiles at Star, a gentle, sympathetic smile.

"Much," jokes Belinda so only Adrien can hear.

"Star Nolan, curator," she says, finally audible.

"Please tell us what happened when you saw the sarcophagus missing." Hera makes a 'go ahead' gesture with her hands as she says this.

"Okay..."
--The Sarcophagus Was Missing--
1. It was yesterday…
2. I was coming in to make my morning rounds.
3. Then I found the beard on the floor
4. that's when I knew the sarcophagus was gone!
5. I hope that's alright…

"It's your time to shine, Addie." Belinda flicks her own attorney's badge, winking.

Options:
Press [Statement number]
Present [Evidence] at [Statement number]
Check [Evidence]

Last edited by PhosphorousLaw on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shy guy

Present the sarcophagus at statement 3!

ASCEND

If that's wrong, definitely press statement 3. I'd also press Statement 1. Can we really be sure the incident occurred yesterday???
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

Oh, right, I guess it might have been broken off but still present at the museum.

Happy Maria

Oh cool neat a new CYOA. Uh…yeah, I guess maybe press statement 2 to garner more information on her rounds?

I will return...

Quote:
Planetbox said: Press Statements 1 and 3
Southern_Corn said: Press Statement 2
KamiPanda said: Present Sarcophagus Photo/Description at statement 3.

1. It was yesterday…

Adrien leans forward towards Star and shouts "Hold it! Was it really yesterday?"

Star cowers and mumbles "I was almost positive it was. But if a clever young lawyer thinks it wasn't, maybe I'm wrong? Oh dear…"

Adrien takes up a thoughtful pose, finger on their cheek. "Well, it was the 14th yesterday. Was it the 14th when you saw it missing?"

Star perks up. "Yes it was!" When she smiles, it's as if the courtroom gets brighter. Oh wait. That's just the sun coming out from behind a cloud.

The Judge says "Well that settles that."

2. I was coming in to make my morning rounds.

Adrien once again shouts "Hold it!" They slam their right hand flat on the defense bench. "What happens in these morning rounds?"

Star cowers again. "Well, um, every morning I check on all the exhibits. To see if all the exhibits are all in good condition. Sometimes, people let their children touch the exhibits, or people draw on them. As curator, it's my duty to catalog these vandalizations and let the restorers know," she says, getting more confident as she speaks. "So as I was saying, I was walking around the exhibits…"

"Hold it! What beard?" Adrien slaps their hand down twice this time.

"The statue's ceremonial beard," supplies Star. "It's on all deathmasks of pharaoh's."

"Okay…" says Belinda. "Not what I expected you to ask."

"Have you spotted something?" Adrien questions.

"Maybe…" says Belida, playfully.

"Objection!" Adrien presents the Sarcophagus Photo/Description. "The beard was broken off by grave robbers!"

Star covers her face with her book. "Eep!"

Belinda smiles proudly "You got her, Addie!"

Hera stiffens and narrows her eyes. "Witness, what is the meaning of this?"

"It was-- it was the beard made by the restorers! That's it!" Star smiles again, though this time she's sweating.

"Witness, please explain what you mean."

The Ceremonial Beard
1. I had forgotten to update the description
2. We had our restorers make a new beard, you see!
3. And yesterday was the second day it was on display
4. So really, there's nothing to object about!

"Huh..." says Belinda.

"What?" asks Adrien.

"You might want to press this time. She seems shifty." Belinda looks serious, which is unusual for her.

Options:
Press [Statement number]
Present [Evidence] at [Statement number]
Check [Evidence]

Shy guy

Press 3, I suppose.

Happy Maria

Press 2 just to double check the veracity of her claim. Seems to be getting clear cut now though.

Press 1 and 4 since that's all I was left with :(

I will return...

Quote:
Cesar_Zero Said: Press Statements 1 and 4
Southern_Corn said: Press statement 2
KamiPanda said: Press statement 3

1. I had forgotten to update the description…

“Hold it! Why did you not update the description?” Adrien slams their hand on the defense bench, loud enough to spook some of the gallery.

“Well, I forgot. Also, the power went out last night at the museum so I couldn’t.” Star covers her face with her book.

“The power went out?” Adrien looks incredulous.

“Yes.” Star nods from behind the book.

“Your Honor, I would like to request that the witness add this to her testimony.” Adrien doesn’t take their gaze off of Star.

The judge nods. “Please do what Mr. Sandoval-Castle requested.”

3. We had our restorers make a new beard, you see!

“Hold it! But why would the thief break off the beard?” Adrien has a gleam in their eyes like they’ve landed on something.

“Objection!” counters Hera. “The reason is irrelevant, Sandoval-Castle. Besides, how would the witness know a burglar’s thoughts?”

“Objection! The reason could be paramount! It could exonerate my client!” Adrien points at Hera melodramatically.

Hera shakes her head in disappointment. “Then let the witness explain why the thief might’ve broken off the beard.”

“The restorers plant a tracker in their creations just in case of situations like this.” Star says from behind her book.

The Judge cuts in. “Do you think that’s important for Ms. Nolan to add to her testimony, defense?”

4. And yesterday was the second day it was on display

“Hold it!” Adrien slams their hand again. “Who knew about it?”

“Um, everyone? King Narmer’s Sarcophagus is our main exhibit, after all.” Star doesn’t cower this time.

“Oh. Okay then…” Adrien looks mildly embarrassed.

Hera chuckles derisively. “Really, Sandoval-Castle, were you not prepared for your first case?”

“Were you?” shoots back Adrien without thinking.

Hera stiffens, then coughs and waves a hand. “Never mind about that. Continue with your testimony, witness.”

5. So really, there's nothing to object about!

Adrien slams their hand. “Hold it! Are you sure there isn’t?”

“Positive!” Star chirps, still smiling and sweating.

“I see…” Adrien stares her down.

~~~

New Testimony:
2. The power went out last night

Statement 3 Options:
Yes, it’s important
No, it’s not at all important

Options:
Present [Evidence]
Press Statement [number]
Check [Evidence]

ASCEND

Might as well add that statement. I don't think it'll like hurt us or anything.

I don't think we checked the Security Footage yet, right? Let's look at that, maybe it'll contradict the statement about the power.

Shy guy

Yeah, what PB said!

Present our badge to Belinda while we're at it I dunno. She's the only one here we can present to without getting a penalty and we've gotta show it off to at least one person.

Happy Maria

Sure the others covered it nicely for me.
!Topic%20Title

I will return...

((Some descriptions to tide you over

Adrien is mixed race, latinx and white. They were assigned male at birth. They have bright red (dyed) hair and brown eyes. Their hair is mostly hidden by a yellow corduroy newsboy cap. They wear a red polo shirt and khaki pants. Their shirt has three pins on it.

Belinda is a very very tall woman, of Italian descent, with angular features. Her hair is in a blonde bob with some red streaks (both colors probably dyed). Her eyes are hazel. She wears a lavender business suit jacket with a white shirt underneath and a black tie. Also, she wears a lavender pencil skirt to match her suit jacket, and black flats. Her hearing aids are bright magenta.))
One lingering thought fills my mind, burdening me with anxiety...

Last edited by PhosphorousLaw on Wed May 15, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I will return...

Quote:
KamiPanda said: Present our badge to Belinda while we're at it
Planetbox said: Check Security Footage

"Yes, please add that to your testimony, witness."

4. There's a tracker in all creations made by our restorers

Adrien turns to Belinda and takes their badge off of their lapel, with quick and practiced ease. They push it toward Belinda, with a "Take That!".

Belinda applauds politely but says "Nice job, but don't you think we have work to do?"

Adrien flushes and mumbles an apology, they just got overexcited. They pull out the court record and Check the Security Footage.

Quote:
Secutiry Footage
Page 1: Sarcophagus Area
2:10 to 2:15: Black screen illuminated only by red flashes of other security cameras
2:16: Lightning flash, illuminating sarcophagus
2:17 to 2:24: Same as 2:10 to 2:15
2:25: Lightning flash, sarcophagus gone.
3:00 to 3:03: Completely black screen.
Page 2: Security Office
2:10 to 2:15: Doug Nhut at his station
2:16: Doug leaves his post
2:17 to 2:24: Empty chair
2:25: Doug returns to his post
3:00 to 3:03: Completely black screen.
Page 3: There was a three minute blackout at 3:00 AM caused by lightning.

Last edited by PhosphorousLaw on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shy guy

Yell at Star for such poor quality security footage! No wonder the thing got stolen!

Hey surveillance is tough

Also Press New Statement 2

I will return...

Quote:
Franzise Deauxnim said: Press New Statement 2

“Hold it! For how long did the power go out?” Adrien asks.

“Oh, er, for how long I was there. That’d be about from 8 to 12.”

Adrien grins.

“Seesomething, Adrien?”

“I think I have.”

Quote:
KamiPanda said: Yell at Star for such poor quality security footage! No wonder the thing got stolen!

Adrien opens their mouth to shout at Star for the quality of the security footage then mentally takes a step back. (She’s not responsible for the security detail, is she. I should calm down.)

Aaand Present the Security Footage record at New Statement 2 (assuming she doesn't need to add the details about the time to her statement first)

Shy guy

Guess I don't have anything to add here. Yeah, do that!

I will return...

Quote:
Franzise Deauxnim said: Present the Security Footage record at New Statement 2 (assuming she doesn't need to add the details about the time to her statement first)

“Objection!” Adrien shouts, pointing their finger dramatically. “As you can see by this record, the power only went out at 3:00 AM, long after you had gone, and even after the sarcophagus was stolen!”

Star’s book goes flying, and the judge manages to catch it, after a few fumbles. “I believe this is yours, Ms. Nolan.”

She accepts the book and says “It must have gone out while I was there! Maybe the record is wrong?”

Hera examines the evidence. “No, all is in order. It is your testimony that is out of line.”

“Then I’ll just need a new testimony!” Star looks determined.
--Why The Time Was Wrong--
1. I wasn’t there for the blackout
2. There was a blackout somewhere else I’m misremembering
3. So all is okay, no inconsistencies here!

"..." Adrien stares at Star, looking for an opening.

"What's wrong, Addie?" Belinda asks, crossing her arms.

"I don't have evidence to fight this!" Adrien slaps a hand on the bench.

"Remember, you can use Common Knowledge," Belinda says sweetly.

"Right! ... How do I do that again?" Adrien's mind has gone blank.

"You select a statement, then find what's wrong based on the facts of life." Belinda supplies patiently.

"Okay, Miss Belinda! Let's do this!"

ASCEND

Statement 2 is pretty fishy, we probably have to do whatever we're doing on that one.

Happy Maria

Press statement one too just in case.

Shy guy

Just in case, present our badge to the judge.

No I'm not just looking for something to say after having nothing to add.

What about pressing the really important third statement huh?

I will return...

((Sorry for the long delay, I can't figure out if you guys mean Use Common Knowledge or actually Press))
((This thread is now on temporary hiatus.))
One lingering thought fills my mind, burdening me with anxiety...

Last edited by PhosphorousLaw on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Knowledge at 2, how'd she remember a blackout being somewhere else when she was supposedly at the museum?
Page 1 of 1 [ 32 posts ] 

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus