Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:05 am
by Ropfa
So, good news for T-Consequences:
Thanks to some help from Andross, several of my background images have been completed. Two still images are currently being made by another artist on Deviantart, who so far has finished all my requests in a very timely manner. For the first half of the case, I now just have 1.5 more backgrounds, sprites for the aforementioned character, and one piece of evidence (which I could probably throw together in about two minutes).
An outline for T-Unknown has been written up and I've started making some serious progress into the script, as well as sprites for one of the new characters in the final case.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:09 pm
by Andross
Good to hear, glad I could help!
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:48 am
by discipledoctor
So I'm playing through The Rogue Turnabout, just got to a certain part of Case 2's second half...
Spoiler:
:(
Suffice to say, my attention was grabbed fairly easily.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:06 am
by discipledoctor
Sorry for the double post, but I've just finished The Rogue Turnabout and all I can say is WOW.
Spoiler:
I guess I'd be lying if I said I didn't suspect Black to have some involvement with the case, but the way you pulled it off was excellent. I also really liked how you kind of explore what happens when Wright's trust for his client goes a bit too far. Hopefully that's a theme that gets explored later, but I guess I'll see as I play Turnabout on the Web. I'm also kind of wondering about Pearls...is she going to end up being the final killer, or the final victim? Or perhaps you'll play it extremely dark and she'll have been murdered a long time ago when she got kidnapped? You're good at keeping me on the edge.
So ultimately, great job! Keep up the great work.
And I admit to laughing out loud when I first met Watters and the Metropolis Zone music started playing.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 am
by Andross
That would be kinda pointless wouldn't it? It'd kill all of the suspense in her being missing in the first place, particularly since Gumshoe implies in the flashback that he thinks she's already dead.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:50 am
by discipledoctor
Just finished TotW and all I can say is, similar to when I finished TRT, wow.
Spoiler:
I liked how it you didn't needlessly drag it on like I was afraid of for a second. And that final cross-examination was just amazingly well done. I was wondering why it refilled my life bar beforehand, but I didn't think it'd actually be important for the plot. So I guess here's my list of predictions for the next two cases:
-Jimmy is Mindirez. I suppose it's a bit of a stretch, but he obviously knows about Pearl and is on the box, which makes him clearly an important character. Considering that Mindirez killed Cody and Jimmy "left" just before Cody died, I think it's certainly possible.
- I have a feeling that Maya could be a victim at some point, considering your write-up for the next case, in my opinion anyway, gives off the impression that this will be personal to Phoenix. It's also not hard to imagine the Rivales family killing someone close to him. And finally, there's the fact that Trucy says she'll help out "not next case, but after that". So while I hope not, I do think it's possible.
- Lastly man, the biggest mystery for me is poor little Pearly. I have no idea what your intentions are, but you could do so many horrifying things with that if you want to make the point that the Rivales family is evil. Or maybe she's actually alive and working for them? Or maybe or maybe or maybe...ok, I guess I don't have a prediction here.
Anyway man, GREAT JOB so far. I don't know what your goal is, but you are making a game that feels very much like a legit PW game, and for that, you have my respect. I'm sure this isn't the point of making the game, but if you ever need donations to make it happen...well, let's just say I'm perfectly willing to pay the price of a full game, if not more. Again, good job. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:58 am
by Ropfa
Thanks for playing, sir! I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far and I hope you like the final cases just as much. On your predictions...
Spoiler:
Jimmy seems to be the most popular suspect for Cody's murder, from what I've seen others guessing. Obviously, I can neither confirm nor deny this.
Trucy's absolutely going to be an assistant again for some or all of a future case. However, I wouldn't say that automatically means Maya's gonna get killed off.
The truth behind that story is that Pearl was his sled.
If I might ask, who have been your favorite things so far? Characters, plot twists, scenes, all that jazz.
On getting paid for this...
Nooooooooo... No, no, no, no... I wouldn't be legally allowed to take any money for this, since it still has the Ace Attorney name attached to it. So I can't accept any donations, payments, or anything along those lines. No money. I neither have nor never will make a single cent from Conflict of Interest. In fact, I'm LOSING money by making this game. But I'm actually fine with that. I'm having a blast so far making it, and it's been great hearing back from my players. It's also been a pretty neat hobby during the little freetime that I have.
Always nice to hear theories about what might happen. Keep 'em coming, people.
I still need to come up with an excuse for why Maya is still around in this game, since we all know she's going to be the culprit in Contempt of Court...
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:25 am
by Ropfa
Another progress update. This time...
SCREENSHOTS!!!
YAAAAYYYYY!!!
Spoiler: T-Consequences screenshots
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:48 am
by Outbreak95
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to the next case. And the screenshots... just wow!
Keep up the great work Ropfa, it's a lot of hard work you're pulling with COI, but I'm sure it will turn out splendid, just like the previous cases.
Cheers!
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:32 am
by Darth Wiader
Just so you know, I'm still available for beta-testing if you need me.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:42 pm
by BonnyMono
Ropfa wrote:Another progress update. This time...
SCREENSHOTS!!!
YAAAAYYYYY!!!
Spoiler: T-Consequences screenshots
Oh hey! Watters got a tan this time.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:24 pm
by Scent
Nice background, by the way. :]
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 pm
by Blizdi
Ahh... the wait is killing me, Fuandon on youtube wants to play this also!
Anyway, YAY BIKINI!
OT: Looks good so far, is this case, not based off a murder, but attempted assassination?
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:31 pm
by Lemming20
Did you tell Fuandon about this update?
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:15 am
by Ropfa
Not yet. I guess I just assumed that he lurked the forums, since he's figured out everything on his own before rather quickly (I realize how silly that sounds). He hasn't logged in here for a while, so I might drop a message on Youtube or something.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:05 am
by Lemming20
I think you should tell him.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:35 am
by Blizdi
Any more updates? UPDATES UPDATE????? STATUS UPDATES? No?
Anyways, good luck with the project, and have a wonderful New Years Day...
Wait... it was yesterday? Dammit....
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:35 am
by Blizdi
EDIT:Woops double post
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 am
by Ropfa
My status update is that I've been putting off working on stuff for the first half so that I can work on stuff for the rest of the game.
I'm aiming to finish another background tonight, and then I can MAYBE start working on the final one. I just have less drive to work on backgrounds, since they're not as interesting as character sprites.
Plus, the sprite contest. That took up a decent amount of my free time.
I will say though that the script for T-Unknown has reached 160 pages and is nowhere near completion. I'd estimate it's only about 30%-40% finished.
As for all that other stuff, I would not encourage attempting the majority of it, due to the likely negative consequences for yourself and others. However if you are truly dedicated to it, then I suppose there's nothing I can do.
Feel free to post online as much as you like though. I'd say that one's pretty safe to do.
Unless the NSA doesn't like whatever you said.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 am
by Blizdi
Haaaaa "negative consequences" get it because Case 4 is "Turnabout Consequences" hahahaha... I am so alone...
And my question was more reference to Consequences than Unknown
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:44 am
by Ropfa
Okay, so one final thing before T-Consequences: Part one gets released. This is the final background for the case (or rather, the first half of the case). I made this all from scratch. I've made backgrounds before, but this one is much more detailed than any of the others I've tried. Not quite finished, as I still need to add in some evidence on the scene and possibly make some minor adjustments to the railing.
Feedback pls
Spoiler:
Not sure what that white line on the right side is. It's definitely not in the file I uploaded.
After this, I'm going to make some outfit changes to one character (who I already have the base for, so that shouldn't take long) and make sure that all the coding is working properly. And then... off to beta-testing. Hopefully beta-testing will start within a month (depends on how much I slack off).
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:18 am
by mercurialSK
Ropfa wrote:Okay, so one final thing before T-Consequences: Part one gets released. This is the final background for the case (or rather, the first half of the case). I made this all from scratch. I've made backgrounds before, but this one is much more detailed than any of the others I've tried. Not quite finished, as I still need to add in some evidence on the scene and possibly make some minor adjustments to the railing.
Feedback pls
Spoiler:
Not sure what that white line on the right side is. It's definitely not in the file I uploaded.
I have no practice in backgrounds, but I'll do my best.
The floor looks fine and the rail is okay to this untrained eye. The clouds too. The contrast of the dark roof with the light background is pretty nice. Your perspective looks alright. Is that greenery a forest or part of the garden, and is that a balcony where the other door is?
Try shading "underneath" the roof tiles instead of drawing them in, use highlights and shadows to bring it into 3D.
I don't understand your light source(s).
The scene seems as if it's lit at the same level everywhere, which is bland from a lack of depth and doesn't focus the eye. (Grayscale to better see values) The green also blends in with the mountain and the sky, maybe a bit too much.
I messed around for a quick bit (keep in mind I don't really know what I'm doing), and ended up with this,
The colours aren't the best and don't really account for depth or bleeding (since I cheated and used Multiply/Screen because I just wanted to make the grayscale version more interesting, so it's all one shade in the coloured...) but I thought I'd leave it here as an idea.
Ropfa wrote:After this, I'm going to make some outfit changes to one character (who I already have the base for, so that shouldn't take long) and make sure that all the coding is working properly. And then... off to beta-testing. Hopefully beta-testing will start within a month (depends on how much I slack off).
Sounds like good progress. I look forward to the release.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 am
by Blizdi
Ahhh, the wait is killing me!
...
Part 1? What'chu talking bout Willis? I swear to Ropfa if you make a cliffhanger...
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:15 am
by Ropfa
Thanks, Mercurial. I'll probably end up using that version.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:09 am
by Ropfa
Er, well... I haven't really done anything since the previous update. I still need to make only one character's sprites and finish some coding. But here are the updated numbers:
I'm starting to think that even with as little as I have left to do, one month wasn't quite enough for my deadline, since I have two big papers coming up in grad school, as well as a vacation. Things will probably pick up more when I'm back in a normal schedule.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am
by Blizdi
Will coding really take that long? It's only at 25% :P
Didn't you finish backgrounds btw?
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:21 am
by Ropfa
Yes, backgrounds are all finished. Coding won't take TOO long. I already have all the dialogue written up, so it's basically just a matter of line-breaking and bug fixing at this point. And that just involves me playing through the case a few times.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 pm
by The_Turnabout_Guy
Can you give a rough idea that when will the case be out, I can´t stand the waiting man.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:36 am
by Ropfa
The_Turnabout_Guy wrote:Can you give a rough idea that when will the case be out, I can´t stand the waiting man.
Current estimate is that it will be finished when it is.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 am
by saluk
Ropfa wrote:
The_Turnabout_Guy wrote:Can you give a rough idea that when will the case be out, I can´t stand the waiting man.
Current estimate is that it will be finished when it is.
Are you sure you want to be so specific?
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 am
by Ropfa
saluk wrote:Are you sure you want to be so specific?
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 am
by Blizdi
Dammit Ropfa.... I didn't think you were a brony... Was the Case 3 defendant just a Proxy (lol Turnabout Proxy) of yourself?
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm
by The_Turnabout_Guy
Spoiler:
Thank you for being accurate with me Ropfa.
p.s how the hell did I miss those screenshots?!
And Lee Harvy Oswald didn't kill J.F.K, only a Dallas Officer.
The balistics are on my side as well as the bullet trejectory.
(cause the reporter asks who sent you)
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:07 pm
by Oriachim
I can't get COI working. Whenever I play it on pywright (the newest version), it crashes every time after the intro. (regardless of the episode)
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:18 pm
by Oriachim
Fixed with the pywright update. Are you ok for reviews? I will review it intensely when I finished it. As long as you don't take offense to criticism? :)
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:36 am
by Ropfa
Oriachim wrote:Fixed with the pywright update. Are you ok for reviews? I will review it intensely when I finished it. As long as you don't take offense to criticism? :)
Sure, go ahead. I'll look forward to it.
Re: PW: Conflict of Interest (New update available)
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:06 am
by Blizdi
Ropfa wrote:
Oriachim wrote:Fixed with the pywright update. Are you ok for reviews? I will review it intensely when I finished it. As long as you don't take offense to criticism? :)
Sure, go ahead. I'll look forward to it.
So... any nonspecific time frame updates? Has that "coding" gone from 25% and has "backgrounds" went up from 70%?