Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Read the latest updates to Court-Records.net
Bolt Storm
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3303
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm
Custom Title: 元・超会社員級の管理人
Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk
Contact:

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Bolt Storm »

Well, the official blog post announcing it seems to have been hastily retracted, but the evidence is clear as day: Apollo Justice is coming to Android and iOS this winter!

Image

You can pre-register to get the game first now.

Update: Officially announced in both America and Japan.

Spoiler: First screenshots
Image
Image
Image
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Aster Selene
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 am
Custom Title: That one super-uncooperative witness

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Aster Selene »

And now iOS users can play 1 through 5 in a straight shot without a gap in the timeline, plus the game is now legally available in a form that's not hunting down old DS carts. Plus English-speaking Android users finally get a taste of Ace Attorney. Score!

But really, what I'm more excited about is that Capcom's properly acknowledging that this game exists after years of vaguely skipping over its existence in terms of the release sector. Hopefully this'll follow up with the 3DS, I really hated seeing the timeline gap there too. And perhaps Android users can get the whole series (we still haven't gotten the trilogy in English for Android, even though Japan did)...! But that'll be an issue to deal with on another day.
Last edited by Aster Selene on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrCafecito
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:46 pm
Custom Title: Clarion of Revelations
Location: The United States of Japan

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by MrCafecito »

This was unexpected but very welcome! I have already played it but I might just give it another try, I haven't played it for quite a while after all
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Nurio »

I don't really know how to feel about this announcement. It was clearly made in error, and thus we aren't supposed to know about it yet.
Announcing it here kind of ruins the surprise for the actual reveal.

...Now, in this case, it's nothing too bad. While good news, it's nothing too surprising or shocking or what have you. I guess I'm more talking out of principle here.
I abhor seeing people report leaks without any regard for whatever surprising reveal the company may have had planned. And with Nintendo's new console on the horizon, I fear I'll get to hear all about it before Nintendo properly tells me.

Okay, that's rather off topic, but I had to, you know? :yogi:

Anyway, if I didn't already have this game, I would definitely get it. I presume it'll be a HD release like the trilogy release? Now if only it has proper animations.
Image
Aster Selene
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 am
Custom Title: That one super-uncooperative witness

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Aster Selene »

Nurio wrote:I don't really know how to feel about this announcement. It was clearly made in error, and thus we aren't supposed to know about it yet.
Announcing it here kind of ruins the surprise for the actual reveal.

...Now, in this case, it's nothing too bad. While good news, it's nothing too surprising or shocking or what have you. I guess I'm more talking out of principle here.
I abhor seeing people report leaks without any regard for whatever surprising reveal the company may have had planned. And with Nintendo's new console on the horizon, I fear I'll get to hear all about it before Nintendo properly tells me.

Okay, that's rather off topic, but I had to, you know? :yogi:

Anyway, if I didn't already have this game, I would definitely get it. I presume it'll be a HD release like the trilogy release? Now if only it has proper animations.


The pre-registration link is still active so I think it's fair game. In any case, Japan's side just announced it as well.

I must say that image looks really spiffy, far better than the 123 HD port for iOS/Android.

Spoiler: spiffy looking Apollo
Image


[EDIT] And now it's official for us, too. Cool stuff.

Spoiler: Here's another spiffy looking Apollo on a spiffy UI.
Image


Spoiler: 123 trilogy for iOS/Android for comparison
Image
Venkyra21
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:23 pm
Custom Title: Bracelets of Steel
Location: Singapore

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Venkyra21 »

I like the new HD sprites they've shown us. With AJ:AA's refined art style, the HD sprites definitely look much better than those of the HD trilogy. Hopefully someone rips them when the game is released :apollo:

Though I'm guessing they're gonna recycle the sprites for lawyer-Phoenix and the judge.
MrCafecito
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:46 pm
Custom Title: Clarion of Revelations
Location: The United States of Japan

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by MrCafecito »

Here's what the icon will look like!

Image
Shugo
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:32 pm
Custom Title: Ace Lurker

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Shugo »

Really hoping it doesn't turn out anything like the original trilogy. The iOS trilogy is absolutely abysmal. Even if it is up to the 3DS trilogy's polish level, I hope these new HD sprites aren't missing tons of frames like both trilogy versions suffer from.

Dual Destinies iOS is wonderfully polished, though, so if it's the same team working on this then I have hope. I wonder if this also means AA4 will get a 3DS version, finally.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by SuperAj3 »

The art is so crisp and clean!
Here's to fluid animation and blinking actually being in this one!
MH MD
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by MH MD »

What a fantastic news to wake up to!
Really glad they are bringing this game to android too in the west! Maybe there is some hope after all....
Hope that means that whenever SoJ comes out for iOS there wil be an android version too
Anyway, AJ looks really crisp and clean!
Venkyra21
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:23 pm
Custom Title: Bracelets of Steel
Location: Singapore

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Venkyra21 »

The announcement being made on this particular day is all the more fitting, because, as I've just realised, today (October 12) marks 15 years since the first Gyakuten Saiban game was released on the GBA!
Bolt Storm
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3303
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm
Custom Title: 元・超会社員級の管理人
Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk
Contact:

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Bolt Storm »

This looks much, much, much better than the trilogy release. Hope they aren't cutting animation frames.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Butz the Klutz 52
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:47 pm
Custom Title: Ace Procrastinator
Location: USA

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Butz the Klutz 52 »

Hope that they have blinking animations here. That's why I didn't like the 3D trilogy
Southern Corn
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 4741
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am
Custom Title: Happy Maria

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Southern Corn »

Neato! Nicely done!
Image
Image
FenrirDarkWolf
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am
Custom Title: Otter

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

I hope they add case art like they did for RftA...
View my Sprite thread!
Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
MBr
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm
Custom Title: Enoshima Junko-chan!
Location: Canada

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by MBr »

I'll be getting it, even if I'm not that fond of AJAA. Here's hoping for SoJ iOS as well.
11037
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by linkenski »

Bolt Storm wrote:This looks much, much, much better than the trilogy release. Hope they aren't cutting animation frames.

I still think the way the art has been redrawn looks like the same style as the HD iOS trilogy. The art of AJAA was originally much more crisp and high-res than the GBA sprites in the trilogy. Something about those outlines and shadows on Apollo's clothes look like most of it has just been put through filters and photohopping yet again.

Still a chance it's more like the 3DS release than the iOS release of the trilogy, but I have a bad feeling there will be dropped frames no matter what.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
LoopyChew
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by LoopyChew »

This makes me happier than I thought it would. I was literally thinking about this yesterday as I introduced a friend to the original trilogy.
Slammer
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 435
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:24 pm
Location: Japanifornia

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Slammer »

It'll be english-only, I presume? Such a shame they stopped translating the series multi5...

The new sprites look so good, by the way :acro:
Image

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by henke37 »

Well, they should still have the old scripts. If nothing else the Internet does.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Gyakuten$aiban
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:14 pm
Custom Title: Athena Internet Defense Force
Location: Florida

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Gyakuten$aiban »

Oh snap.

It's clear Apollo is finally getting his due after a rocky start. People have definitely warmed up to him.
Image
JovahexeonAceVexeon
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 1:02 pm
Custom Title: Leader of SCWRM Comms
Contact:

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by JovahexeonAceVexeon »

Bolt Storm wrote:This looks much, much, much better than the trilogy release. Hope they aren't cutting animation frames.

I actually wonder if for Apollo Justice HD, they'll actually redo Phoenix and the Judge's courtroom models again properly this time.
123fendas
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 6:49 pm
Custom Title: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE?
Location: Sweden

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by 123fendas »

AMAZING! Now we can finally have HD images on the Ace Attorney Wikia for AJ as well.
Apollon
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:52 am
Custom Title: A New Chapter of Trials!
Location: Eagle Mountain

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Apollon »

Whaaaaaaaaaat!? Capcom ACKNOWLEDGED the existence of AJ:AA?! Never thought I'd see the day! The screenshots look really nice, hopefully it plays a nice as it looks.
Image
Eureka!
TheDoctor
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm
Custom Title: Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by TheDoctor »

Those HD sprites look amazing. I can't wait to see everyone else.
Image
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Nurio »

linkenski wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:This looks much, much, much better than the trilogy release. Hope they aren't cutting animation frames.

I still think the way the art has been redrawn looks like the same style as the HD iOS trilogy. The art of AJAA was originally much more crisp and high-res than the GBA sprites in the trilogy. Something about those outlines and shadows on Apollo's clothes look like most of it has just been put through filters and photohopping yet again.

I see what you mean, and I kinda feel the same. These sprites, while I don't think they look bad, kind of look like they're vector images. There's no subtlety to the shading. It's all very crisp and sharp. Too much so.
I've seen many HD visual novels that have a bit of a softer look yet still look HD.
Image
Cesar Zero
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Cesar Zero »

If the English version of this is coming to android, does that mean there is a chance they will translate the original trilogy/port Dual Destinies to Android?
Signature loading, please wait...
jaydrick0620
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm
Custom Title: wilddrawfour.tumblr.com
Location: Yes

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by jaydrick0620 »

I, for one, was crossing my fingers for a 3D remake but this is excellent! I haven't played AJ since my DS Lite broke down centuries ago. This is going to be really good!
Image

HERE COME DAT SPIRIT MEDIUM!
Apollo4Justice
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:05 pm
Custom Title: I'm fine and ready for justice!
Location: Florida

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Apollo4Justice »

Slammer wrote:It'll be english-only, I presume? Such a shame they stopped translating the series multi5...

The new sprites look so good, by the way :acro:

Considering what Aster Selene put in spoilers, I think it's not English-only, but rather both English and Japanese. :ron:
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!
Aster Selene
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 am
Custom Title: That one super-uncooperative witness

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Aster Selene »

Apollo4Justice wrote:
Slammer wrote:It'll be english-only, I presume? Such a shame they stopped translating the series multi5...

The new sprites look so good, by the way :acro:

Considering what Aster Selene put in spoilers, I think it's not English-only, but rather both English and Japanese. :ron:


I think they're referring to the lack of other European languages (Multi-5 meaning English/Spanish/Italian/German/French), which AA games used to be translated to until AAI.
User avatar
D.A. McCoy
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1586
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am
Custom Title: Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by D.A. McCoy »

This is awesome! A little bizarre and unexpected (I'm not sure why they didn't do this earlier) but it's great to have it in HD.

I kind of wish they would have done this as part of the trilogy 3DS release (and just call it "Ace Attorney collection" or something) as I prefer to have the games on the 3DS but playing around with DD on iOS indicated that it's not inferior in any way so I think this will work out well.

I hope they release a SoJ announcement for iOS as well. It would be great to have a backup device (my phone) to play the games (specifically DD and SoJ) in case my 3DS died in some way that I couldn't fix/transfer to another one. I know the HD trilogy is a pretty shoddy port but I've heart plenty of people who started with it and still enjoyed it, and DD seemed to be a great port from what I could tell.

I really wish they'd make PC ports as well, though. It's not the ideal system for me to play AA but it's one of the best in terms of long-term compatibility and preservation.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
Thunder84
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 am
Custom Title: Yabba Dabba Doo
Location: Hiding from responsibility

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Thunder84 »

Fingers crossed they give Investigations an HD remake and put both on the eShop, but I don't mind it on iOS. Damn though, those sprites look absolutely incredible.
Image
Venkyra21
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:23 pm
Custom Title: Bracelets of Steel
Location: Singapore

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Venkyra21 »

Thunder84 wrote:Fingers crossed they give Investigations an HD remake and put both on the eShop, but I don't mind it on iOS. Damn though, those sprites look absolutely incredible.

If they do indeed give AAI a HD remake, followed by possibly AAI2, I hope they give AAI2 an official English translation this time.
Gyakuten$aiban
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:14 pm
Custom Title: Athena Internet Defense Force
Location: Florida

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Gyakuten$aiban »

jaydrick0620 wrote:I, for one, was crossing my fingers for a 3D remake but this is excellent! I haven't played AJ since my DS Lite broke down centuries ago. This is going to be really good!

Actually, I don't really want a remake of this game because I like the original soundtrack so much. I don't really want to see it reorchestrated with new instruments because I think it would lose some of its feel.
Image
User avatar
MiaFeyFan
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by MiaFeyFan »

Yes! I was thinking about this the other day. I'm so happy that AJ is going to become more accessible for people, especially new fans who may have only played the cellphone versions. I hope it becomes avaliable on the 3DS too. :trucy:
Image
"Having a place to go — is a home. Having someone to love — is a family. Having both — is a blessing."
User avatar
ouboros
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Missile
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by ouboros »

Didn't they patch the blinking back into the iOS version?

Hobo is my favorite version of Naruhodo, so I'll be happy to see him again. (I find AA5 Naruhodo quite dull as a character)
I wonder how they're gonna handle the highly compressed fmv files of 3D models?
https://youtu.be/oeB3XlRJYIQ?t=9m28s
Last edited by ouboros on Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
ouboros
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Missile
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by ouboros »

Mayoi is surprised by this announcement
Image
Southern Corn
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 4741
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am
Custom Title: Happy Maria

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Southern Corn »

Her eyeballs are like flowers,man.
Image
Image
User avatar
Hotdiddykong
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:16 pm
Custom Title: Monkey with a gun

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Hotdiddykong »

I like how it's exactly the same set up
As in it's meant to look closer to the artwork
It's just more detailed because that's how the artwork for AJ was compared to the old games
Image
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney coming to mobile

Post by Nurio »

Hotdiddykong wrote:I like how it's exactly the same set up
As in it's meant to look closer to the artwork
It's just more detailed because that's how the artwork for AJ was compared to the old games
*snip*

Hm... Just comparing the in-game screenshots to this artwork, you can definitely see the difference, though. As I mentioned before, the in-game sprites almost look too sharp, especially the shadows. The artwork there has a certain softness to it (without looking blurry or faded).
Image
Post Reply