What instrument do YOU/used to play?

General Music, Band, Insturments, just Audio chat in General. Hope you're more musically inclined than Phoenix
Builderkid107
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1294
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:57 pm
Custom Title: ...

What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Builderkid107 »

I figured since no-one else has made one of these, so I shall. (Maybe it's because it's a forum game

You tell us what you used to play, and what your experience with it was.

I'll go: I used to play the Cello in 5th grade, I got quite good, but when I switched to a private school that doesn't have a music program, and the fact I don't have a Cello...I can't play it. :larry:

It's a shame, because I loved playing, but I don't have 900 bucks to spend on a fullsize, (I'm pretty tall) so I'm pretty much SoL.

I'm currently working on finding an instrument to play.
Blak The Great
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2512
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:25 pm
Custom Title: ☆☆☆ Kira ☆☆☆
Location: Nippon-Weeb-Land

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Blak The Great »

Here you go. I had a feeling I've seen this topic before
I'm Blak, and I have shit taste.
Builderkid107
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1294
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:57 pm
Custom Title: ...

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Builderkid107 »

Blak The Great wrote:Here you go. I had a feeling I've seen this topic before

OOPS!
Uh...uh...
oddy
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1163
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 pm
Custom Title: Walking the path of heaven, ruler of all
Location: sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by oddy »

I played the French Horn for a while as a kid. I regret stopping, it would've been so cool to know a instrument well :maggey:
Image
Awesome sig made by Nadindi.
My otp's are. MayaxLarry and PhoenixxFranziska
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

I feel utterly tone deaf, learning instruments is hard as mummified balls to me, but I can play parts on "Vive Henri IV" on piano, something I'm disturbingly proud of. :acro:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Klonoahedgehog
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am
Custom Title: Gardevoir lover
Location: Puerto rico

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Klonoahedgehog »

I played the bongos for a bit.
Image
My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

Klonoahedgehog wrote:I played the bongos for a bit.


That's cool! Isn't that rather unusual?
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Alonso Swift
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:04 am
Custom Title: Ace Explorer
Location: The Yggdrasil Labyrinth

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Alonso Swift »

When I was in, like, 3rd grade, I had piano lessons.
Other than that, I am NOT musical.
Image
Well? Are we going or what?
Klonoahedgehog
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am
Custom Title: Gardevoir lover
Location: Puerto rico

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Klonoahedgehog »

WaitingforGodot wrote:
Klonoahedgehog wrote:I played the bongos for a bit.


That's cool! Isn't that rather unusual?


Yeah, it taught me about rythim but i never did much with it.
Image
My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
bratty waifu
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:28 am
Custom Title: ★ I wanna Yabba Dabba Die ★
Location: Heartland Province
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by bratty waifu »

I've tried the flute in Elementary; didn't go so well and I didn't like it.
I was forced to play the bongos in High School; I really didn't like it and changed my class.
I tried guitar for a bit, but didn't like that either.
The one thing I enjoyed was playing piano when I was a kid. Every time I played my pit bull at the time ('Kila') would howl.
♡ Facebook ☆ Kidd & Milky Comics ♡
Instagram (18+ Art) ☆ Art Merch ♡
☆ X: @miilkywei ♡ PSN: Saebyeog ☆ Switch: SW-6480-0576-7900 ♡
*HMU if you wanna die or request commissions*
Currently (Re)Watching / Playing: ASTRO BOY / Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duel
Cravat of Doom
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 am
Custom Title: earthlings on fire
Location: Hazakura Temple

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Cravat of Doom »

I play the piano, flute, piccolo, and soprano saxophone. The last three I haven't played since I graduated high school last year but I do miss them!
ImageImageImage
...and there's fifteen feet of pure white snow
kurainkun
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm
Custom Title: Kurain Fey! Lolness, behold~!

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by kurainkun »

Listing time! :pearl: :

O Piano
O Violin (Only remember Golden Slippers :sillytrucy: )
O Recorder (Knows a lot of pieces but.... Sound sucks. Period)
O Guitar (Forgotten... :sadshoe: )

Tada~! There ya go! :maya:
Kurain Fey! Spirit Medium at Law!
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Going for Miles »

From the age of 8-12 I played the viola (a slightly bigger and darker sounding version of a violin). I have no technial knowledge when it comes to pianos, but I can play some melodies and learn them by myself.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

GoingforMiles wrote:From the age of 8-12 I played the viola (a slightly bigger and darker sounding version of a violin). I have no technial knowledge when it comes to pianos, but I can play some melodies and learn them by myself.


I can play the beginning of Vive Henri V on piano (and nothing else)! :acro:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
shippersdreamer
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm
Custom Title: Your Honor! There is a contradiction!
Location: Northern California

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by shippersdreamer »

I used to be able to play the Trumpet fairly decently, I dropped it since I absolutely HATED my school's band class though.
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Going for Miles »

For the pure sake of innuendo: While I was a player, my three closest friends at that time was as well. (Trumpet, vertical flute and horizontal flute which I don't now the proper names for in English and I don't bother to look it up either) Sometimes we got together and played each other's instruments. I never managed to get any sound from the horizontal flute and the trumpet though. Mine was the only one you didn't blow. I was kind of glad of that because in the end, I was the only one who walked home without other people's spit in my instrument. Not my own either, for that matter.

And boy was I annoyed when I learned the viola is pretty much the buttmonkey for musicians' jokes. The reason I began playing it was so that it wouldn't sound as screechy as a regular violin when I had just started out and practiced at home. As for why I chose to begin playing that sort of instrument from the beginning, I have absolutely no freaking idea. I just wanted to play an instrument, is all. Nowadays I kind of wish I had learned to play some cool instrument like the drums or bass instead, that'd be awesome but nowadays I don't have the patience (or money) to get around and learn it.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Mary Faraday
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:38 pm
Custom Title: Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥
Location: Austria

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Mary Faraday »

I used to play the piano in my early school years, because I could attend some free lessons inbetween and after school, right after this year ended, I started playing the guitar, but I was really inexperimenced so I ditched that. Since then, I didn't start playing an instrument again.
The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions
시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에
Trivia 轉 : Seesaw
Cann Kelly
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:43 pm
Custom Title: Love. Lost. Elegy.
Location: USA

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Cann Kelly »

Playing the guitar for 5 years now. It just gives me a chill when I'm jamming so randomly, enjoying a set of various songs to play.
Jesse Pinkman: What if we can rip off that train, and no one ever knows it got robbed?
sosgirl10
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:21 am
Custom Title: Objection!

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by sosgirl10 »

I've been playing piano since I was 5 years old. I'm 16 now, so I think that makes it 11 years now...?

I've been playing trombone for 3 years, (part of my music program at school), and have been starting to learn guitar (mostly bass).

I actually attend an Arts School, and I am in the music program! It's real fun.

I am below average at drumming aha!

:ron:
Huh!? Hey! You can't just go saying "pal" like that! That's MY endearing character trait!- Dick Gumshoe
Crescent Moon
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:37 pm
Custom Title: Elohim Essaim Elohim Essaim
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Crescent Moon »

I've been playing violin and piano since I was in the 6th grade (I'm going to be a junior this next year so that's about 5 years). I've also been playing guitar, celli and vocals, but I started those in 8th grade and I don't really like singing too much anymore... but my principal instrument is the violin, because I'm the most skilled, seeing as how I'm the second-best violinist in my school (which actually isn't saying much...).
"I'm in lesbians with you" - Scott Pilgrim
TheBlackquillz
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am
Custom Title: "Eggs?"
Location: Lurking through the forum...

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by TheBlackquillz »

I've been able to play the flute for as long as I can remember... I'm learning the piano now, and my flute playing is actually helping me learn the piano. It's great, because I'm just teaching myself how to play, basically. Also, I want to learn how to play trumpet. Pbbbbt!
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!
Bramimond
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am
Custom Title: The Enigma
Location: Beneath the Shrine of Seals
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Bramimond »

I can't believe I'm just now discovering this thread! I play bass guitar. Currently learning how to cover songs
Image
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Crescent Moon
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:37 pm
Custom Title: Elohim Essaim Elohim Essaim
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Crescent Moon »

Bramimond wrote:I can't believe I'm just now discovering this thread! I play bass guitar. Currently learning how to cover songs


Are you going to be like Scott Pilgrim and learn the bass riff for the battle theme from Final Fantasy? :sahwit:
Naw, I'm joking, I actually like bass, both double and guitar.
"I'm in lesbians with you" - Scott Pilgrim
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Going for Miles »

That's awesome, Bramimond. I adore bassists. :will:
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Bramimond
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am
Custom Title: The Enigma
Location: Beneath the Shrine of Seals
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Bramimond »

TheMoonlitAttorney wrote:
Bramimond wrote:I can't believe I'm just now discovering this thread! I play bass guitar. Currently learning how to cover songs


Are you going to be like Scott Pilgrim and learn the bass riff for the battle theme from Final Fantasy? :sahwit:
Naw, I'm joking, I actually like bass, both double and guitar.

Heh, maybe. All I need are tabs. And that reminds me, I still need to see that movie...

Going for Miles wrote:That's awesome, Bramimond. I adore bassists. :will:

:edgey:
Image
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Mayu Igiyooki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am
Custom Title: Winter Flag Trademark
Location: Igiyooki Manor, P/A.
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Mayu Igiyooki »

^ Whoa. That's Cool! :D

...as for me, I used to play the Piano and a Harmonica. But I'd love to try them out someday again. When I get the chance, of course~
Image
This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

^ Nice! I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano myself, but sadly I'm terrible when it comes to instruments. I guess I'm pretty darn tone deaf. And it would be really sweet to be able to play the harmonica.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Mayu Igiyooki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am
Custom Title: Winter Flag Trademark
Location: Igiyooki Manor, P/A.
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Mayu Igiyooki »

Aw... That sounds pretty bad. Well, I guess you need to keep on practicing to get better. And, indeed. It woule be kinda sweet.
Image
This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

Yes, it might as well work if I'm stubborn, haha. And yes! Harmonica players strikes me as rather chill for some reason, heh. Perhaps I can get my dad to teach me how to play harmonica, haha, he's pretty good at it.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Going for Miles »

I could once play "Twinkle twinkle little star" on harmonica. Just playing melodies on pianos is fairly easy, I think, but I don't know the names of the different keys or play it after notes or anything like that. Sometimes I regret I gave my keyboard to my sister.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Bramimond
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am
Custom Title: The Enigma
Location: Beneath the Shrine of Seals
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Bramimond »

Ah harmonica. I never really played it, mostly just screwed around with it. I have a four hole ocarina that I can play Les Mis on.
Image
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Shtak
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 pm
Custom Title: Don't call me Shirley
Location: France

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Shtak »

Reading so many of you speaking of school bands and music classes has me a little jealous, in my school/country there was pretty much none of that, and barely anything to encourage creativity from the children altogether...

Klonoahedgehog wrote:I played the bongos for a bit.


Me too :shoe: but it's a bit harder than it looks frankly, there's this particular "knock" sound (you hear it a lot in bachata) I never managed to reproduce.

Other than that, mainly the pan flute, and a little bit of self taught piano at my local train station since they kindly set one there!
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Oliver »

I tried to play the keyboard...but I just don't like music I guess...
Funky Bunnies
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:26 am
Location: Washington, US
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Funky Bunnies »

it definitely takes some dedication to get good at an instrument, like anything. :doodle:

I majored in music performance on French Horn for a while in college, before deciding I wanted to do something else. But I think it's incredibly helpful to know some piano or guitar if you want to get a firm grasp of music theory
:agent-Smith:
Percussion or drums seems like it would teach you rhythm and syncopation a lot better than anything else on a variety of instruments, but it's hard to play that stuff on your own. I feel like woodwinds, brass, guitar, piano, guitar, etc are a lot more fun to play solo stuff :pencil:


The more showy instruments are the mid-high range ones that everyone knows (guitar, piano, trumpet, flute, clarinet, violin, alto sax), so they usually get the more interesting parts - especially prior to highschool/college. Alto Sax, Clarinet, and Trumpet might be the most versatile wind instruments because they have a lot of variations (bass to soprano) or in the case of trumpet, it's a pretty standard brass instrument.

At the higher level, almost every instrument gets showcased at some point, and everyone's super good so you have to compete extra hard to get fun parts at the more popular instruments. Some instruments are really tough though - like Going For Miles mentioned Viola, which rarely gets fun parts and uses a really rare clef that could make switching instruments later really difficult.
I think the only thing to be wary of at all is physical limitations to some instruments, like small hands for some stringed instruments or short reach for trombone. :pizza:

but I think it's best to try out as many as you can and see what would be the most fun in the future! :rock'n:
Just my 2 cents! :portsman:
Bramimond
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am
Custom Title: The Enigma
Location: Beneath the Shrine of Seals
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Bramimond »

I agree. My sister's hands are pretty tiny, but she's a BEAST on piano. Plays a lot better than I can.
Image
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Mayu Igiyooki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am
Custom Title: Winter Flag Trademark
Location: Igiyooki Manor, P/A.
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Mayu Igiyooki »

^ Have you ever tried any instruments rather than piano, Ms. Bramimond?
Image
This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Bramimond
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am
Custom Title: The Enigma
Location: Beneath the Shrine of Seals
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Bramimond »

Well...

Bramimond wrote:Ah harmonica. I never really played it, mostly just screwed around with it. I have a four hole ocarina that I can play Les Mis on.

Bramimond wrote:I can't believe I'm just now discovering this thread! I play bass guitar. Currently learning how to cover songs

Ignore the harmonica part. But yeah, four holed ocarina. Haven't played it in a while though. Most of my attention's been on my bass guitar lately.
Image
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Going for Miles »

Bramimond wrote:Most of my attention's been on my bass guitar lately.


It's all about the bass, eh?
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Bramimond
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am
Custom Title: The Enigma
Location: Beneath the Shrine of Seals
Contact:

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Bramimond »

Uh-huh. No treble :-P
Image
I've heard rumors… Bramimond, one of the eight legends, devoted himself entirely to the dark. All emotion, all memory… dissolved in a river of dark. That is how he received the power to best dragons
Turnabout Dave
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:02 pm
Custom Title: This! Is! SPARDA!!!!!
Location: Downtown Japanifornia

Re: What instrument do YOU/used to play?

Post by Turnabout Dave »

I am a cellist and have been for nearly a decade. I firmly believe that the cello is the most beautiful sounding instrument ever created.

Well, I might be biased, but it still sounds beautiful.
Rule number one of lawyer stuff: if it's in the court record, it's gonna show up in the trial.
Post Reply